Let's Play Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

User avatar
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2508
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:31 am
Location: London England
Contact:

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by ClymAngus »

By god our s**t looks professional!

We should be employed. :D

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Part 7 - lovely! :)
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

User avatar
Svengali
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by Svengali »

Cool, Corny :D Seems the new screenrecording software works pretty well .-)

User avatar
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2508
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:31 am
Location: London England
Contact:

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by ClymAngus »

I've been having a bit of a look at this and thinking with a touch of spit and polish we could really bring out the shine.
Don't get me wrong, the shine is there, it just needs a bit of buffing......

1) intro; it needs a bit of a "HELLO! I'm here!" Nothing too fancy, just something to anchor the meaning and make the audience feel safe.

2) Outro; a small summation, credits, a nice little thing to draw the whole production to a close.

On a different thought what about some nice dip in video tutorials? The ooliteers guide to the ooniverse?

User avatar
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:50 am
Location: (northern) Germany

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by Corny »

ClymAngus wrote: 1) intro; it needs a bit of a "HELLO! I'm here!" Nothing too fancy, just something to anchor the meaning and make the audience feel safe.
2) Outro; a small summation, credits, a nice little thing to draw the whole production to a close.
Thanks for your feedback. Thought about that before (and even did a little in- and outro for transition when the video got too long), but in contrast to Podcasts/Vodcasts or other regular shows, I can't be sure in what intervals people watch these videos. A nice in- and outro is fine if you watch the videos every week, for example, but gets annoying really fast if you watch it in one go. Worst case would be a summary at every start :D
It's in a playlist for a reason, after all. It's meant to be watchable in one go, despite the (sometimes rather long) publishing intervals. I guess I should think about a compromise.

Also, episode 8 is available.

User avatar
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 1988
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:11 am
Location: In analysis mode on Phaelon
Contact:

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by Fatleaf »

In the Carrier market have you ever tried pressing ? (shift / together)? :wink:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"

User avatar
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:50 am
Location: (northern) Germany

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by Corny »

Fatleaf wrote:In the Carrier market have you ever tried pressing ? (shift / together)? :wink:
I already need shift to get a /, where's the double-shift? :D
But, yeah, you're right :oops: must've forgotten that...

User avatar
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2508
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:31 am
Location: London England
Contact:

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by ClymAngus »

You can skip them with youtube content.
Corny wrote:
ClymAngus wrote: 1) intro; it needs a bit of a "HELLO! I'm here!" Nothing too fancy, just something to anchor the meaning and make the audience feel safe.
2) Outro; a small summation, credits, a nice little thing to draw the whole production to a close.
Thanks for your feedback. Thought about that before (and even did a little in- and outro for transition when the video got too long), but in contrast to Podcasts/Vodcasts or other regular shows, I can't be sure in what intervals people watch these videos. A nice in- and outro is fine if you watch the videos every week, for example, but gets annoying really fast if you watch it in one go. Worst case would be a summary at every start :D
It's in a playlist for a reason, after all. It's meant to be watchable in one go, despite the (sometimes rather long) publishing intervals. I guess I should think about a compromise.

Also, episode 8 is available.

User avatar
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:50 am
Location: (northern) Germany

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by Corny »

I never heard about this and didn't find anything after a quick search. Could you provide a little explanation / how-to?

User avatar
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2508
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:31 am
Location: London England
Contact:

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by ClymAngus »

I can do the explanation, but the how too is a little sketchy.

annotation basics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLhTMTC1x6s

Check out the TOP COMMENTS on this video it gives a description on how to skip forward.

results of skipping can be seem here in the bottom right hand corner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o90v81LScoc

Give it a click, mousing over gives you the code!

If you want some hard core, stand alone annotations for a raw mov file however, this might be a good place to start:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cl ... 52&bih=512

User avatar
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:50 am
Location: (northern) Germany

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by Corny »

Oh, annotations combined with skip to-links...
Well, the idea of doing videos that are easily watchable in one go is that it's not required to skip (or click an annotation at the start which would probably annoy the people who do want to see the "intro"). So it would probably be a little annoyance for both sides.
Also, it only works with the youtube player, of course. I don't know how many people are using a different in-browser player (like me) or watching it in a different way, but those would be kept out as well.
I'd rather prefer an all or nothing approach :)

User avatar
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2508
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:31 am
Location: London England
Contact:

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by ClymAngus »

That's cool, your the one putting the work in after all. To be honest it's just another layer of complexity and is very much down to your particular style of video making. :D

Some people like it some people don't, as long as things are made, it's all good!

User avatar
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:50 am
Location: (northern) Germany

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by Corny »

ClymAngus wrote: Some people like it some people don't, as long as things are made, it's all good!
Alright :)
The danger of greetings is that it becomes repetitive... as I said, maybe some people watch it all in a row. I watched a bunch of Let's Plays - most of them in a row as well. Some of them made a little intro, but when you watch 10 episodes that are all 10min long and every 10min you have a 10-20 second intro-clip, it gets really annoying quickly.
Others just did a little "hello", but some of them started their videos always the same - also back in the days of a 10min limit, so I listened to a "Soooooooo...." every 10min. Gets old really fast as well.

In the style I do this let's play (that is, "roleplaying" without breaking the fourth wall, except in the comments and such), I have an excuse to do a greeting each episode, though: The episodes end with docking with a station and also start there. You may have noticed that I treat it as we were leaving the ship then, maybe even catch some sleep etc. So a greeting wouldn't be absurd to do in-character. Guess I should just do it every time, I stopped doing that in the last eps...

User avatar
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2991
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
Contact:

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by JazHaz »

Corny, are you using Trunk for your videos? Because I don't see those new hyperspace tunnels on my 1.75.3...?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13805
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by Cody »

JazHaz wrote:Because I don't see those new hyperspace tunnels on my 1.75.3...?
The new hyperspace tunnels are from the latest BGS oxp, but they require shaders.

Post Reply