Page 2 of 3

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:44 pm
by Pleb
I got around 680 FPS when looking at Lave:

Image

And about 850 FPS when looking at the station:

Image

Although as you can see the numbers fluctuated a bit!

Intel Core i7 4790K Quad Core 4.0 Ghz
16GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB VRAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:56 pm
by Cody
Pleb - out of curiosity, do you have Threaded optimisation enabled in your nVidia CP?

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:14 am
by Pleb
I've retested this on my laptop just for comparison. Looking at Lave I get around 170 FPS:

Image

And looking at the station I get around 180 FPS:

Image

Again the numbers are not static!

Intel Core i5-3317U Dual Core 1.7 GHz
8GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz
Nvidia Geforce GT 620M 1GB VRAM
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Cody wrote:Pleb - out of curiosity, do you have Threaded optimisation enabled in your nVidia CP?
I have it set to Automatic. To be honest I haven't really played around with it much it works quite well as it is and I'm afraid of messing it up! :lol:

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:22 am
by Cody
Pleb wrote:To be honest I haven't really played around with it much it works quite well as it is and I'm afraid of messing it up!
You should create a profile in the nVidia CP for oolite.exe and have a tinker with that - good practice! I run Oolite with TO disabled, btw - it's smoother.

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:34 am
by Pleb
Cody wrote:You should create a profile in the nVidia CP for oolite.exe and have a tinker with that - good practice! I run Oolite with TO disabled, btw - it's smoother.
I just tried this and turned TO off. FPS increased when looking at planet to around 700 FPS but decreased looking at station to around 820 FPS... Weird!

EDIT: I'll have to play around with the settings some more. Most games I just run in full graphics. Though the only games I have for PC that are recent and require decent machines to run are Elite Dangerous and Watch Dogs. Both games I run on the highest settings (Ultra) with all features turned on or at the highest setting. I'm getting Assassin's Creed Unity next week so I'm hoping this will allow me to push my new PC to see what it can do! :twisted:

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:38 am
by Cody
Pleb wrote:I just tried this and turned TO off. FPS increased when looking at planet to around 700 FPS but decreased looking at station to around 820 FPS...
I was kinda expecting that. Try a normal Oolite game, with OXPs and v-sync enabled - is there less stutter with TO off, especially in how blips move across the scanner?

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:45 am
by Pleb
Cody wrote:I was kinda expecting that. Try a normal Oolite game, with OXPs and v-sync enabled - is there less stutter with TO off, especially in how blips move across the scanner?
In normal Oolite with OXPs on (and I have quite a few - including Griff's ships, and Povray Planets) I see a small drop in FPS (650 FPS for planet, 780 FPS for station) with OC on as apposed to off. But again turning OC off just means I get a more balanced result.

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:31 am
by Cody
I should add a caveat, methinks - do this test at your own risk (which is a standard warning with trunk)! I've had serious trouble getting Oolite 1.81.0.6200-141103-e855d90 to run normally after this test. It's quite likely that the problem is local to my machine, but I have to mention it - just in case!

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:43 am
by StathisR
Extra detail 215 FPS (240 FPS facing station)

on my laptop (i5 M460 2.53GHz, 4 GB DDR3 532MHz, Ati Mobility Radeon HD 565v).

I am expecting today a GTX-970 for the ring i am building and i will post when i will set it up.

EDIT:OS Win7 Home Premium 64 bit

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:14 am
by Commander_X
Norby wrote:I got 60FPS on i3-3225 3.30GHz with internal HD4000 graphics, maybe the v-sync is on regardless of my settings.
Yes, one thing that might be added to the instructions, is that the options in the .GNUstepDefaults file should be inserted into the oolite = {} section.

FPS: 351

AMD FX-8320/32G RAM
GeForce GTX 660/2G RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate/64 bit

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:36 am
by Zieman
Have to check this with the latest build - did get some pretty big numbers when trying to sort out the Vsync & intermittent stuttering some time ago:
Image

System specs:
i7 4770K
GTX780 3GB
16GB DDR3 2400MHz
W7 Ultimate 64bit

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:56 am
by another_commander
Cody wrote:I should add a caveat, methinks - do this test at your own risk (which is a standard warning with trunk)! I've had serious trouble getting Oolite 1.81.0.6200-141103-e855d90 to run normally after this test. It's quite likely that the problem is local to my machine, but I have to mention it - just in case!
I haven't had any issues after returning everything back to normal, but it is true that the test setup can be very taxing for the system. I would recommend not running the benchmark setup for prolonged periods of time (CPU/GPU temperatures might rise really fast) and certainly I would advise against using this setup for standard gameplay.

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:12 am
by Pleb
Mime seemed fine but I didn't test it for long. I didn't see any massive increases in temperatures but I have 5 fans and a powerful CPU cooler on my rig. Also once I reset the settings everything went back to normal. In fact my FPS seems steadier on the latest build than on 1.80 developer release. Still at 60 FPS but didn't drop to 59 quite as much. :)

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:38 am
by another_commander
One more test run. Dell Latitude laptop w/ Intel Core i7 M640 @ 2.80GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Grpahics 64MB VRAM, Win 7 64-bit Enterprise: Extra Detail, facing Lave: 50 FPS.

Re: Split: Benchmark

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:59 am
by Norby
Commander_X wrote:
Norby wrote:I got 60FPS on i3-3225 3.30GHz with internal HD4000 graphics, maybe the v-sync is on regardless of my settings.
Yes, one thing that might be added to the instructions, is that the options in the .GNUstepDefaults file should be inserted into the oolite = {} section.
Thanks for the mention. I had a GeForce 9500GT card once and during that time the FPS was around 100 with the same v-sync line and stable 60 when I changed to "yes", so I think the internal graphics or the Intel driver in my Linux lack support it.
Btw increasing the gamma has not any effect here also but worked well with the dedicated card.