Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:45 am 
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

The resulting 'text' would be unreadable to Oolite in windows XP & Vista too. We've got quite a few threads from people modifying stuff with notepad and not being able to run Oolite properly afterwards.

I've no idea how your copy of notepad doesn't mangle stuff, but the average out-of-the box notepad does. If you look for 'notepad is evil' you should find at least a few of those threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:15 pm 
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Hi KW

You should download Notepad++… it’s free, and for editing code, it’s excellent.
I was using Wordpad, which was okay, but Notepad++ made things a lot easier.
I wouldn’t have worked out how to fix my HUD problem without it.

Check it out.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:47 pm 
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
OH, one more thing, does Oolite use a left handed or right handed coordinate system? Just so I don't end up in the arse of my ship :S.
Really good question!

On the z axis, +1 is toward the front of the ship, on the y axis +1 is going upwards and on the x axis, +1 is toward starboard (the right hand side if you're looking forward).

I think. 95% sure anyway... :P
Sounds right to me. To answer the question, this makes it left-handed.

For anyone wondering when coordinates got hands, it works like this: if you take your left hand and hold the thumb, forefinger and middle finger at (approximate) right angles to each other, and label the thumb X, the forefinger Y and the middle finger Z, you get a model of a left-handed coordinate system. If X pointed port or Z pointed aft, it would be a right-handed coordinate system. Every possible orthogonal basis in three-space is either left-handed or right-handed, Try it on your fingers, boys and girls!

If you ever see a graphics programmer waving their hand around in a weird claw shape, it may be because they’re trying to think their way through a coordinate transformation. Or it could just be general insanity. Either way, it’s best just to back away slowly and quietly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:01 pm 
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
OH, one more thing, does Oolite use a left handed or right handed coordinate system? Just so I don't end up in the arse of my ship :S.
Really good question!

On the z axis, +1 is toward the front of the ship, on the y axis +1 is going upwards and on the x axis, +1 is toward starboard (the right hand side if you're looking forward).

I think. 95% sure anyway... :P
Sounds right to me. To answer the question, this makes it left-handed.

For anyone wondering when coordinates got hands, it works like this: if you take your left hand and hold the thumb, forefinger and middle finger at (approximate) right angles to each other, and label the thumb X, the forefinger Y and the middle finger Z, you get a model of a left-handed coordinate system. If X pointed port or Z pointed aft, it would be a right-handed coordinate system. Every possible orthogonal basis in three-space is either left-handed or right-handed, Try it on your fingers, boys and girls!

If you ever see a graphics programmer waving their hand around in a weird claw shape, it may be because they’re trying to think their way through a coordinate transformation. Or it could just be general insanity. Either way, it’s best just to back away slowly and quietly.
I do a lot of this deformed claw movement when explaining the co-ordinate system of real-time 3D models to my students... :wink: