Morrigan and aquatics guardian defence system

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Post Reply
Jon Ridgway
Above Average
Above Average
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:45 am

Morrigan and aquatics guardian defence system

Post by Jon Ridgway » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi,

Just upgraded to the Morrigan and purchased my self a shiny new Guardian defence system. Only problem is every time I'm attacked and the guardians launch I'm destroyed by them as they collide straight into me. I assume its something to do with the missile launch position (as one isn't define for the Morrigan) - but changing this doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Any suggestions?

Regards,


Jon.

User avatar
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Post by Thargoid » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:18 pm

It's not the missile launch position, it's the aft eject position (that's where the Guardian's are launched from). It sounds (without looking at the OXP) that perhaps the position isn't defined for the Morrigan, so they're appearing at the centre of your ship.

As a test, try dumping some cargo pods and see if they survive or not. They should be dropped from the same position that the guardians are.

Alternatively check the shipdata.plist entry for the player Morrigan and see if the eject position is defined or not. See the link near the start of this post for more details.

User avatar
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 pm

ooh
Whats this guardians defence thingie - I've missed that.... :?

User avatar
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Post by Thargoid » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:56 am

A little reward in Aquatics. As the readme says, the Aquarian Shipbuilding Corp would be very grateful if you could help them out with their little problem with the Kraken ;)

They have a very large and powerful R&D department...

User avatar
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:48 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by Eric Walch » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Thargoid wrote:It's not the missile launch position, it's the aft eject position (that's where the Guardian's are launched from). It sounds (without looking at the OXP) that perhaps the position isn't defined for the Morrigan, so they're appearing at the centre of your ship.
Not defining an aft_eject_position should not be a problem. When not defined Oolite calculates a value just behind the ship. So for ejecting cargo this is not a problem. However, I have seen cargopods been ejected intact after killing a ship, and than being smashed in pieces on colliding with the derelict that was slowing down.

This means than a good aft_eject_position should not only be behind the ship, but also a bit below it.

User avatar
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Thargoid wrote:A little reward in Aquatics. As the readme says, the Aquarian Shipbuilding Corp would be very grateful if you could help them out with their little problem with the Kraken ;)

They have a very large and powerful R&D department...
ooh, something else to do when I re-visit G3 then.
Nice one T

User avatar
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:49 am
Location: Healesville, Australia

Re: Morrigan and aquatics guardian defence system

Post by Zbond-Zbond » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 am

Jon Ridgway wrote:Just upgraded to the Morrigan
How do you get on docking when you're a fugitive? or at Rock Hermits?

(I always crash, scrape gouge BANG!)

User avatar
Commander McLane
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 9520
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:08 am
Location: a Hacker Outpost in a moderately remote area
Contact:

Post by Commander McLane » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:58 am

The main thing is to position your ship correctly, which is easier for a Rock Hermit and generally any non-spinning dock than for main stations.

Remember that in most ships the cockpit is above the plane. So you have to visually aim for a spot above the docking bay's centre, not for the centre itself.

Personally I am flying an Imperial Courier, and I find it quite difficult to dock with a Rock Hermit without scratching my hull, because of my ship's geometry. Through its nacelles it is widest at its lowest point, which doesn't fit very well with the hexagonal shape of a Hermit docking bay. No problems with the box-shaped docking bays of stations, however.

User avatar
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:49 am
Location: Healesville, Australia

Post by Zbond-Zbond » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:05 pm

Commander McLane wrote:Remember that in most ships the cockpit is above the plane.
That sounds most excellent advice to remember, for several ships!

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:02 am
Location: Bremen, Germany

Re: Morrigan and aquatics guardian defence system

Post by Screet » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Jon Ridgway wrote:Only problem is every time I'm attacked and the guardians launch I'm destroyed by them as they collide straight into me. I assume its something to do with the missile launch position (as one isn't define for the Morrigan) - but changing this doesn't seem to fix the problem.
I had the same problem with the Caduceus, however that was not destroyed by the guardians but the guardians instantly destroyed by my ship. Especially annoying if I am still slowing down from torus drive or launching from a station, those guardians had a 100% crash.

I myself solved it in two steps:
1) Modify eject position to be behind and BELOW the ship (as Eric already suggested)
2) Add a timer to the guardian script to release them only 5 seconds after condition red and only if the player has slowed down (otherwise wait another 5 seconds).

Screet

User avatar
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2991
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
Contact:

Post by JazHaz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Commander McLane wrote: Personally I am flying an Imperial Courier, and I find it quite difficult to dock with a Rock Hermit without scratching my hull, because of my ship's geometry. Through its nacelles it is widest at its lowest point, which doesn't fit very well with the hexagonal shape of a Hermit docking bay. No problems with the box-shaped docking bays of stations, however.
Does the IC's docking computer cope with Rock Hermits? Or does it also have problems?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!

User avatar
Commander McLane
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 9520
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:08 am
Location: a Hacker Outpost in a moderately remote area
Contact:

Post by Commander McLane » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:50 pm

Don't know. I never use the Docking Computers, because their overall performance isn't too impressing (one of the very few details in which Oolite fails to live up to Elite). It's either insta-dock or manual for me.

User avatar
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2991
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
Contact:

Post by JazHaz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Commander McLane wrote:Don't know. I never use the Docking Computers, because their overall performance isn't too impressing (one of the very few details in which Oolite fails to live up to Elite). It's either insta-dock or manual for me.
Me too. But it would be interesting to see what happens!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!

User avatar
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:49 am
Location: Healesville, Australia

Post by Zbond-Zbond » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 am

docking computers always crash - with much grinding (The Morrigan)

manual docking about 95% crash rate (but that's positioning the ship as the docking computer seemed to, NOT as suggested by Commander McLane.
Remember that in most ships the cockpit is above the plane. So you have to visually aim for a spot above the docking bay's centre, not for the centre itself.
testing docking computers now with ImpC
..seem to be centrally aligned
..lots of banging going on
..shields depleted
message: "docking computers damaged"
energy banks collapsing!

but we made it - docked

Post Reply