The ship concept topic

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: The ship concept topic

Post by DaddyHoggy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:17 pm

As somebody's whose first and only attempt at an Oolite ship, a ship, which, because it was based on a comic creation, and was piloted by a small boy, really did fit inside a cargo pod (definitely not what I had in mind!)
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder » Sat May 26, 2012 12:19 pm

I was thinking of something on the lines of a ship which when damaged could separate in to two leaving a derelict section floating in space while the section remaining could continue to fight, flee etc.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs » Sat May 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Shipbuilder wrote:I was thinking of something on the lines of a ship which when damaged could separate in to two leaving a derelict section floating in space while the section remaining could continue to fight, flee etc.
Sounds a bit like the Disco Volante from the james Bond film Thunderball. :)
What you suggest is certainly do-able in Oolite one way or another, and is actually something I have thought about in the past. Just haven't found a use for it yet.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB » Sat May 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Smivs wrote:
Shipbuilder wrote:I was thinking of something on the lines of a ship which when damaged could separate in to two leaving a derelict section floating in space while the section remaining could continue to fight, flee etc.
Sounds a bit like the Disco Volante from the james Bond film Thunderball. :)
What you suggest is certainly do-able in Oolite one way or another, and is actually something I have thought about in the past. Just haven't found a use for it yet.
Sounds like the oxp ship "velocity".
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim » Sat May 26, 2012 6:29 pm

There's the Lynx Bulk Carrier from [wiki]Bulk Haulers[/wiki] which does that sort of thing. (Being an unarmed trader, it just flees)

Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:54 am

I was thinking about something on the basis of groups of pirates which would create ships using parts of their damaged crafts and also ships that they had captured in order to construct ships of their own.

Basically they would use the parts they come across to maintain their own fleet of ships. To that end this group of hybrid ships could, for example, consist of a battered Cobra Mk3 which has been modified by adding sections of other core ships.

An OXP consisting of a group of these ships could be produced (Especially if the 3D models for each were available to be adapted so that the hybrid ships would truly use parts of the various ships).
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"