Tales from the spacelanes...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:38 am
Location: Devon, UK

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by Davidtq » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Commander McLane wrote:These types of certain deaths can be avoided by hardwiring the location of the 'P'-key into your right hand's mechanic memory. Myself I got into the habit of unconsciously hitting 'P' whenever something outside the computer is trying to catch my attention, even when I'm playing something else than Oolite. :oops:
Not a bad idea, I wonder If I can map the P button to a something on my x52... as my hands arent on the keyboard much during flight.

Really I should be concentrating on my main save game, Embarassingly Ive never stuck at this version long enough to reach Elite... I get sidetracked with fiction and oxps...

User avatar
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by OneoftheLost » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:30 am

Oh I feel you there. Its only recently that I have FORCED myself to stick with only a few select OXP's so that I stay focused on that lofty goal. All of those beautiful mission Oxp's can wait until AFTER I am Elite.

It would ASTOUND you how many times I have restarted the game. I've been playing Oolite since late 2009, and I have never gotten above competent. (Until now.)
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Location: G1

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by DaddyHoggy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Davidtq wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:These types of certain deaths can be avoided by hardwiring the location of the 'P'-key into your right hand's mechanic memory. Myself I got into the habit of unconsciously hitting 'P' whenever something outside the computer is trying to catch my attention, even when I'm playing something else than Oolite. :oops:
Not a bad idea, I wonder If I can map the P button to a something on my x52... as my hands arent on the keyboard much during flight.

Really I should be concentrating on my main save game, Embarassingly Ive never stuck at this version long enough to reach Elite... I get sidetracked with fiction and oxps...
I've never tried to get to Elite in Oolite - in fact quite the contrary - I'm trying not to kill anything at all - there's so much in Oolite this is possible in a way that would have been very very dull in previous versions of the game (I got to Elite on the C64, Amiga and original PC-DOS version)
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:38 am
Location: Devon, UK

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by Davidtq » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:19 pm

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Davidtq wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:These types of certain deaths can be avoided by hardwiring the location of the 'P'-key into your right hand's mechanic memory. Myself I got into the habit of unconsciously hitting 'P' whenever something outside the computer is trying to catch my attention, even when I'm playing something else than Oolite. :oops:
Not a bad idea, I wonder If I can map the P button to a something on my x52... as my hands arent on the keyboard much during flight.

Really I should be concentrating on my main save game, Embarassingly Ive never stuck at this version long enough to reach Elite... I get sidetracked with fiction and oxps...
I've never tried to get to Elite in Oolite - in fact quite the contrary - I'm trying not to kill anything at all - there's so much in Oolite this is possible in a way that would have been very very dull in previous versions of the game (I got to Elite on the C64, Amiga and original PC-DOS version)
What sort of stuff do you find to do that doesnt involve kiling?

I intend to get to Elite, but I get sidetracked by one shiney toy after another, only to end up being dragged back to piracy to both up the credits and kill rating, but once you get so far its all a bit repetetive, mindless pixel murder for cargo for credits. I saved up for a nice wolf mk2se only to find I didnt like it that much afterall. I even tried it with a cheated 50tons cargo space and it still wasnt what I was after. Ive tried trading in a python, Ive tried piracy in a python, Ive tried assassination missions (random hits).. Im not really sure what "goals" I should work towards.

User avatar
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin
Posts: 8408
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Disunited Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by Smivs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Davidtq wrote:.. Im not really sure what "goals" I should work towards.
I don't really have 'goals' as such. For an hour or two a day I just live a different life. I'll trade, I'll fight back if attacked, and kill if necessary, but mostly I just become a spaceship commander and enjoy whatever the Ooniverse decides to throw at me.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13737
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by Cody » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Davidtq wrote:Im not really sure what "goals" I should work towards.
Join the Explorers' Club, and visit all 2048 systems!
Their dreams a tattered sail in the wind

User avatar
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 3033
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: On a famous planet

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by pagroove » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:00 am

Finally! for the first time I spotted a liner today since running the official version of our liners.oxp. With the test version they where spawned more often but in the OXP they are quite rare. I spotted an Aurora Galaxy liner in orbit of Bezaed (Galaxy 3). The tourist must have come here to observe the Bezaedian spotted Leopard while enjoying the safe space under Navy sector command outpost 13.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
Image
http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709

User avatar
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 pm
Location: Hermit's Pipe
Contact:

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by CaptSolo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:43 am

El Viejo wrote:
Davidtq wrote:Im not really sure what "goals" I should work towards.
Join the Explorers' Club, and visit all 2048 systems!
That is my main goal but also making the pirates really tough (via OXP's) to the point where they have the edge in any engagement involving more than two. Mostly I just enjoy every aspect of the game even during boring flights. You never know what will happen next. May have to help out another trader or even the cops in a fight with some fugitives. Then there is always HyperRadio as long as the license is still active.

User avatar
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by cim » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:42 am

CaptSolo wrote:You never know what will happen next.
Seconded. And if you keep your eyes open you see all sorts of unusual stuff, now and then. Just in my last few trips I've seen two things I'd never seen before:
- a massive brawl between an Anaconda (with full escort complement) and a Pirate Cove, leading to the destruction of both motherships and most of the pirate fleet.
- a bulk carrier with Offender status being taken apart by four bounty hunters. How did the bulk carrier get Offender status in the first place, with no weapons? Truth is, I don't know.

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13737
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by Cody » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:54 pm

I’d been doing some very intensive 'trading' around the Maraus Hub, increasing my bank balance considerably, and racking-up my bounty points in the process. But life was becoming a trifle hot as a fugitive/offender, and it was time to cool my heels as a 'normal' trader for a while. To that end I pulled out of Estiri main loaded with computers, bound for Celaqula to buy furs. I still had an offender tag, but I wasn’t expecting too much hassle... apart from the usual bandits, and the occasional bounty-hunter, that is. I dropped out of hyperspace, headed for the planet and all seemed well, with a nice clear scanner... when my condition suddenly changed from green to red. For a few seconds I was perplexed... then I started taking heavy hits and I remembered the Green Gecko which hadn’t appeared for ages. He had well and truly jumped me! My eyes lit-up and I went for him... just as I realised this was the 'Hardnut' variant that I’d been tinkering with a while ago. What followed was a one-on-one dogfight that lasted well over forty minutes! At times he was on top, and nearly finished me twice, but I gradually wore him down and he eventually ejected, offering to buy me a beer at the station. Ha! It was one of the very best single-combat dogfights that I’ve had the pleasure to win, and when I finally docked at Celaqula I was exhausted and exultant!

Get the balance right, with suitably toughened NPCs, and this game can always surprise you... and can still kill you if you get too cocky!
Their dreams a tattered sail in the wind

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by DaddyHoggy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Davidtq wrote:
What sort of stuff do you find to do that doesnt involve kiling?

I intend to get to Elite, but I get sidetracked by one shiney toy after another, only to end up being dragged back to piracy to both up the credits and kill rating, but once you get so far its all a bit repetetive, mindless pixel murder for cargo for credits. I saved up for a nice wolf mk2se only to find I didnt like it that much afterall. I even tried it with a cheated 50tons cargo space and it still wasnt what I was after. Ive tried trading in a python, Ive tried piracy in a python, Ive tried assassination missions (random hits).. Im not really sure what "goals" I should work towards.
I tasked myself to make 1,000,000 credits without killing anything or ever docking at a main station. I've failed so far as I have 18 kills to my name and only 200,000, but with Save Anywhere working again I've stuck to not docking at a main station - I'm basically living the life of the early days of DaddyHoggy from my fiction - eventually I will retire on Diso's constore with my racing spec Magma Racing Mamba and 1,000,000 in the bank...

Trust me, if you set your mind to it, NOT killing stuff is a challenge - I've an Iron assed Cobby 3 so I can be very persuasive (and all but 3 of my kills have been accidental (where the pirates refused to back away and went from plasma venting to bang in between bursts of Mil laser))
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

User avatar
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 3033
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: On a famous planet

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by pagroove » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:39 pm

El Viejo wrote:I’d been doing some very intensive 'trading' around the Maraus Hub, increasing my bank balance considerably, and racking-up my bounty points in the process. But life was becoming a trifle hot as a fugitive/offender, and it was time to cool my heels as a 'normal' trader for a while. To that end I pulled out of Estiri main loaded with computers, bound for Celaqula to buy furs. I still had an offender tag, but I wasn’t expecting too much hassle... apart from the usual bandits, and the occasional bounty-hunter, that is. I dropped out of hyperspace, headed for the planet and all seemed well, with a nice clear scanner... when my condition suddenly changed from green to red. For a few seconds I was perplexed... then I started taking heavy hits and I remembered the Green Gecko which hadn’t appeared for ages. He had well and truly jumped me! My eyes lit-up and I went for him... just as I realised this was the 'Hardnut' variant that I’d been tinkering with a while ago. What followed was a one-on-one dogfight that lasted well over forty minutes! At times he was on top, and nearly finished me twice, but I gradually wore him down and he eventually ejected, offering to buy me a beer at the station. Ha! It was one of the very best single-combat dogfights that I’ve had the pleasure to win, and when I finally docked at Celaqula I was exhausted and exultant!

Get the balance right, with suitably toughened NPCs, and this game can always surprise you... and can still kill you if you get too cocky!
wow, :shock: thats a figtht!

Indeed the game can and will surprise you. Sometimes on the moment you do not expect it. And the Ooniverse is a dangerous place.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
Image
http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709

User avatar
Jack_Sterling
Average
Average
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm
Location: Galaxy One

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by Jack_Sterling » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:28 pm

What Ho chaps,
A bit of a rum do today. I was cruising planetward at Xexedi, a rich industrial system, when I picked up a strange distress call. It was a Gecko, claiming to be 'beset by criminals' and asking for help. Now I've never come across a Gecko who was not up to no good, so I went to investigate. I ID'd him and he had a Fugitive status, and 'besetting' him was a GalCop Viper Interceptor.
I eased up behind the Gecko, and took him out with a single volley of the front laser. The Police ship sent his thanks for the assistance...then went red on me and started attacking me.

Image

A quick check showed that I had mysteriously also been awarded Offender status! Time to leave.
The old Kite had a fair bit of juice in the tank, and there was another system around 2LY away, so I jumped back and forth a couple of times untill I was Clean, and eventually docked safely at Xexedi Main. I thought it was best to keep Mum, so did not report the incident, but will be a bit more wary of helping out any system vessels in the future.
Life here is unpredictable at best, always dangerous, and I'm having the most spiffing time you could imagine.
Toodle-pip!
Scramble! Bandits at 10 O'Clock. Tally-Ho!
Read Jack's story here

User avatar
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 pm
Location: Help! I'm stranded down here on Earth!

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by SandJ » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Jack_Sterling wrote:picked up a strange distress call ... he had a Fugitive status ... 'besetting' him was a GalCop Viper Interceptor ... I took [the baddie] out ... The Police ship sent his thanks ... then went red on me and started attacking me ... I had mysteriously also been awarded Offender status!
Well, well, well. You too, huh.

I don't do piracy, I'm a good Commander, me. But bounty hunting puts jam on my toast so I never miss an opportunity, especially when I can steal the Credits from under the nose of a civil servant.

When the same thing happened to me some time back, I decided I must have made an error, despite being absolutely sure I hadn't.

But if it's a bug in an .OXP, I'd be inclined to leave it as it happens at about the same frequency as stories of the Police shooting some innocent member of the public, so it is quite realistic.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.

User avatar
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by cim » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:04 pm

SandJ wrote:
Jack_Sterling wrote:picked up a strange distress call ... he had a Fugitive status ... 'besetting' him was a GalCop Viper Interceptor ... I took [the baddie] out ... The Police ship sent his thanks ... then went red on me and started attacking me ... I had mysteriously also been awarded Offender status!
But if it's a bug in an .OXP, I'd be inclined to leave it as it happens at about the same frequency as stories of the Police shooting some innocent member of the public, so it is quite realistic.
My suspicion is that - in so far as it's a bug - it's a main game bug rather than an OXP one. It looks like the Gecko was a pirate, and they took out a merchant ship and scooped the cargo. They don't have a hyperdrive, and only have a small easily-filled cargo bay. Once it's full, they'll then switch to the standard trader AI and head for - in 1.76 - the main station.

They still have their legal status, so police will shoot at them, but they'll behave like a trader, which means sending distress messages (which can give their attacker Offender status, if the police are watching), and even dumping cargo when seriously attacked.

But I can believe that the cop was so busy firing on the Gecko that they didn't notice that their IFF had automatically flagged you as an Offender for joining in...

Post Reply