MacOS debug version does not work with external console

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

MacOS debug version does not work with external console

Post by maik »

See this post over in the Oolite Mac forum. You might want to move it here after all.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: MacOS debug version does not work with external console

Post by Commander_X »

Not sure about your MacOS version, and/or python setup.

On a Slackware Linux, for "oolite-debug-console-1.5", under "Python 2.7.17", I had to install the following to have it up and running (sorry, no pip, not sure to what extent it deals with dependencies):
attrs-19.3.0
constantly-15.1.0
incremental-17.5.0
twisted-twisted-20.3.0
zope.interface-5.1.0

I've downloaded them, dropped them in the oolite-debug-console-1.5 folder, did "python ./setup.py build" on each of them, renamed the folders to the non-versioned name (i.e. attr, constantly, incremental, twisted, zope) and launch either DebugConsole.py or pySimpleConsole.py with, e.g.:

Code: Select all

PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:. python ./DebugConsole.py
without problems. I'm not doing too much OX[PZ] dev/debugging, just like to player.ship.awardEquipment sometimes.

So, don't know about "service_identity" dependency/requirement (I don't have it, and it doesn't seem to be required), but it seems that some more packages would be needed for your setup to be able to run the debug console (the Tk version my Python is using is 8.6.9).

For the record, the order they seem to had popped out as dependencies should be:
1. twisted
2. incremental
3. zope
4. constantly
5. attr
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: MacOS debug version does not work with external console

Post by maik »

Hi Commander_X, thanks for looking into that.

I’m on MacOS 11.2. Python is stock Python That comes with MacOS. I only tried the simple debug console, so didn’t need most of the extra libraries.

However, I am quite sure that the problem lies in the Oolite MacOS implementation of handling the debug channel. I implemented the protocol based on node.js and experience the same symptoms as with the Python simple debug console. When I use my implementation with Oolite on Windows there are no problems.