[Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Post Reply
User avatar
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2560
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)
Contact:

[Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by Norby »

The main purpose of this ship is the practicality for a new commander and not the good-looking, moreover the willfully rusty obsolete outlook urge to get a better ship as soon as possible. (Very simple model I know, can be improved later.)

The largest diameter of the body is 60m to earn as much cargo space as can dock without rolling but do not made the docking too easy (the height of the dock is 64m).

Download Rocket Miner OXP

Image

The almost flat nose can keep the collisionradius at the lowest value which given by the main part of the ship: 42m means 5542 m^2 targetable area. The Cobra MkIII has 73m which give 16742 m^2 due to the sphere form of the shields (and the to hit odds will not decreasing after the shields are down if I known right), so 3 times larger when a pirate wants to hit.

It is a mystical for me how can a new Cobra MkIII hold only 20t cargo in the 192000 m^3 hull when an old Python can hold 100t in 222000m^3 which is 13,5% more only. I made a table with all original player ships:

Code: Select all

                m^3     cargo
Adder           11000   2
Moray           40000   7
Cobra Mk I      47000   10
Fer-de-Lance    51000   12
Asp             59000   3
Cobra Mk III    186000  20
Boa             192000  125
Python          222000  100
Anaconda        430000  750
I think the Cobra MkIII is out of the line, so I decided to give 60t cargo into the 146000 m^3 of the Rocket Miner which is weaker in cargo/size than the Python.

The Asp and the Anaconda are out of line also but these can be justify by specific design goals: Asp is designed for high speed so got big engine which leave small room for cargo, and the Anaconda has small engine and hypercargo (regarding this thread I like more an unique cargo tech than an unusable slow ship with average cargo).

The strong Rocket Drive (which give the name of this ship) provide high acceleration and max. speeds but at a cost of drawbacks, see in the readme.

You can read the story of the ship making here.

Furthermore you can try my idea about a Miner Cobra with 75t cargo but less energy, recharge and missiles.
Last edited by Norby on Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 pm
Location: Hermit's Pipe
Contact:

Re: [Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by CaptSolo »

Cargo capacity for all the core ships is a hold over from the original Elite. The bigger ships can haul more cargo but there doesn't seem to be a direct proportionality to internal area.

User avatar
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2560
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)
Contact:

Re: [Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by Norby »

CaptSolo wrote:Cargo capacity for all the core ships is a hold over from the original Elite. The bigger ships can haul more cargo but there doesn't seem to be a direct proportionality to internal area.
I see, but this caused the dilemma to how can determine the cargo of a new ship. I found that the possible range is too wide, so I must to choose something around the middle to get as few veto about too large or too small capacity as possible. :)

User avatar
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2991
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
Contact:

Re: [Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by JazHaz »

I've never heard of a ship called a Phyton. Unless you mean Python? :D

I always think of the Cobra as being a lot smaller than it is in the game. Maybe it should be?!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!

User avatar
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2560
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)
Contact:

Re: [Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by Norby »

JazHaz wrote:I've never heard of a ship called a Phyton. Unless you mean Python? :D
Corrected, thank you!

User avatar
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin
Posts: 8408
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Disunited Kingdom
Contact:

Re: [Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by Smivs »

JazHaz wrote: I always think of the Cobra as being a lot smaller than it is in the game. Maybe it should be?!
My take on this is the shape - the Cobby is wide and flat which is not a very volumetric shape. The python on the other hand is just like a big pointy box.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: [Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by Zireael »

I love the idea behind this ship!

User avatar
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2560
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)
Contact:

Re: [Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by Norby »

Zireael wrote:I love the idea behind this ship!
Thank you!

I guess you mean the Rocket Drive. I made a whole fleet based on the "fast drive with drawbacks" conception which is beta due to I can not make better ship models than wireframes yet.

I plan to learn Bender ;) Blender but currently I am working on my programming ideas. I think after some learning curve I can start my ship designer career also. :)

User avatar
Spudnic
Average
Average
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: Coastal, AL

Re: [Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by Spudnic »

Norby wrote:The main purpose of this ship is the practicality for a new commander and not the good-looking, moreover the willfully rusty obsolete outlook urge to get a better ship as soon as possible. (Very simple model I know, can be improved later.)

The largest diameter of the body is 60m to earn as much cargo space as can dock without rolling but do not made the docking too easy (the height of the dock is 64m).

Download Rocket Miner OXP

The almost flat nose can keep the collisionradius at the lowest value which given by the main part of the ship: 42m means 5542 m^2 targetable area. The Cobra MkIII has 73m which give 16742 m^2 due to the sphere form of the shields (and the to hit odds will not decreasing after the shields are down if I known right), so 3 times larger when a pirate wants to hit.

The strong Rocket Drive (which give the name of this ship) provide high acceleration and max. speeds but at a cost of drawbacks, see in the readme.

You can read the story of the ship making here.
Thanks Norby. I have downloaded this one and look forward to trying it as soon as I learn how to add the OXPs to the game's program.
Last edited by Spudnic on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell GX270 P4 - 3.2ghz Ram 1gb Hdd 120gb OS=Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS

User avatar
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin
Posts: 8408
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Disunited Kingdom
Contact:

Re: [Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by Smivs »

Spudnic wrote:...as soon as I learn how to add the OXPs to the game's program.
Dead easy :) Just unzip the downloaded file. You should then have a file with a .oxp extension, although for some downloads you might need to open the extracted file to reveal this. Place the complete .oxp folder into your AddOns folder, and you should be good to go.
More advice can be found on the wiki OXP page
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.

User avatar
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2560
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)
Contact:

Re: [Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by Norby »

You should always read the readme.txt in any OXP what you download, usually contain instructions about install and sometimes there are more things than the simple copy to AddOns folder.

In this case you must copy the included .oolite-save file to your oolite-saves folder and load this game to start in this ship.

A tip what you must use with this ship: every time when you slow from Torus or Injectors speeds you must hold down the "s" key for a few seconds more to slow your ship below than the normal max.speed to avoid energy losses.

This ship has a built-in Rocket Drive which give 1.5x max.speed but drain your energy, especially until you has not an Energy Unit. So you should slow to 2/3 of maximum when you has not a good reason to trade your energy for extra speeds.

User avatar
Spudnic
Average
Average
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: Coastal, AL

Re: [Release] Rocket Miner OXP

Post by Spudnic »

Norby wrote:You should always read the readme.txt in any OXP what you download, usually contain instructions about install and sometimes there are more things than the simple copy to AddOns folder.

In this case you must copy the included .oolite-save file to your oolite-saves folder and load this game to start in this ship.

A tip what you must use with this ship: every time when you slow from Torus or Injectors speeds you must hold down the "s" key for a few seconds more to slow your ship below than the normal max.speed to avoid energy losses.

This ship has a built-in Rocket Drive which give 1.5x max.speed but drain your energy, especially until you has not an Energy Unit. So you should slow to 2/3 of maximum when you has not a good reason to trade your energy for extra speeds.
Thanks for the excellent help and this Ship configuration. I have the RocketMiner_0.6.oxp in my addon folder and saw I needed to move the RocketMiner.oolite.save.....I now have it running successfully...thanks for the help guys.
Dell GX270 P4 - 3.2ghz Ram 1gb Hdd 120gb OS=Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS

Post Reply