Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)
Quote:
Hi, I'm pretty new to OOlite after I've not played it for some years and ILS is a VERY nice addon. I have one suggestion, if developement is not abandoned already: Would it be possible to it use as a replacement for the Docking-Computer so that it's only activated after pressing 'c' and not by just approaching the station?
Welcome cythew!

Although ILS is not under active development I am still around to answer you. :)

Docking Computer is a core feature what I can not change, ILS is an addon which can not change any keys. But there is a way to avoid ILS, just use missile targeting mode and not the normal target lock. So use the "t" key instead of "r" to lock the station and ILS will not switch on. Then you can press 'r' to turn it on, rather than 'c'. Then press 't' again anytime to turn it off, for example to avoid a collision.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:55 pm 
Poor
Poor

Hi Norby,

Thanks for all the great MODs.. I read your name pretty often in the list :)

The concrete problem with ILS is, that with the Scanner Targeting Enhancement installed, the station gets automatically selected, when the crosshair is anywhere near it what triggers the landing immediately. That makes dogfighting anywhere near a station very unpleasant. :?

Isn't it possible to just activate it on a key press as a primeable eqiptment, when replacing the default docking-computer is not possible?

Or maybe there is a different tip to avoid this behaviour?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:00 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)
Making ILS to a primeable equipment is not a good idea imho. It would be slower to use, pilots maybe forget to activate it and the primeable list usually too long. Moreover ILS is not triggered in Red Alert (except with offline weapons), this is already implemented.
Quote:
the station gets automatically selected, when the crosshair is anywhere near it what triggers the landing immediately.
Except if you pressed 't' before, or at least right when it happen first, then should not repeat. Arming your missiles can be useful during combat anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:37 am 
Deadly
Deadly

Quote:
Quote:
before entering the docking slit, it rotated 90º.
Some stations are built differently than most ones, which make exceptions from the currently programmed rules. I already added many exceptions just this job looks endless. If you remember which station is the problematic then I can reproduce and fix it once.
I've got bounced twice today using ILD. Once I was trying to ILS into a ConStore near the Witchpoint - which rotate faster than the normal stations.
The other time I was going to file myself into a bog standard Octahedron station (OK, it's actually a cuboctahedron, or a truncated cube. Meh.) when it (or I) did a sudden 90deg rotation. Bang ! Flying backwards at full tilt with a screen full of "(Equipment Name} Is damaged" messages and just enough time to think "WTF?" before crashing into the Navigation Buoy solved my problems.

But to be honest, a bit of uncertainty on the equipment front is good for a Jameson's cortical activity. If it wasn't for insane other drivers and the ever-present risk of a puncture, driving long distances would be even more boring.