Escape pods - have you noticed how using an escape pod sorta kinda doesn't make sense? Instead of a replacement ship with all the equipment in place, you get your ship back, but any damaged equipment at the time you used your pod is still damaged. What's with that? Who ever heard of an insurance replacement arriving in a damaged state? It's an issue that has been noted before, on a couple of occasions.
Now, I understand this is (a) a symptom of the original source material being an 8-bit game with limited resources to do something more complex and (b) designed to avoid abuse (spending 1000cr to escape large repair bills and high bounties does sound attractive...)
Anyway, regardless of which side of the escape pod fence you're on, I've put together an OXP that implements one solution to this problem (and please note, this is one solution to the perceived problem).
Ship Repurchase OXP
This OXP aims to make the experience of using an escape pod a bit more interesting and realistic, by doing the following:
1. The player will now always auto-eject just before ship destruction, even if no escape pod is fitted. The in-game logic is that this is a life-support suit only which will keep the pilot in stasis until recovery. You can't manually eject if you don't have an escape pod - you only get that option if you buy one.
One down-side of the life-support suit is that there is no room for anything but the pilot, so any parcels, passengers, gold, platinum or gem-stones will be left behind in the ship and lost.
2. After the player is returned to the station, they will have to choose from one of three options:
- Full ship and equipment replacement @ 10% of ship and equipment cost.
- Ship replacement only (no equipment) @ 10% of original ship cost.
- Lower value ship replacement at no cost.
Equipment replaced through option (a) will be fully working, not damaged (except for the Cloaking Device, unless you're rescued at a TL15 station).
Option (c) will either be
- a Cobra Mark III (if the base cost of their current ship is greater than 150K and their current ship is not a Cobra Mark III),
- a Moray Starboat (if the base cost of their current ship is between 125k and 150k and their current ship is not a Moray Starboat)
- a Cobra Mark I (if the base cost of their current ship is between 100K and 125K and their current ship is not a Cobra Mark I) or
- an Adder.
3. If the player has purchased an escape pod, the 10% value above is reduced to 5%. There is also an extra escape pod option, called "Escape Pod Plus", which will reduce the percentage to 2.5%.
4. To discourage abuse of the full equipment replacement scenario, the percentages will increase the more frequently the player ship is destroyed. So, if the player ejects multiple times in a month, the replacement costs will be increased.
5. The player can also optionally choose to buy some "Ship Repurchase Insurance" (4500cr from a GalCop station in any system), which covers the holder for 30 days, and reduces the repurchase amounts to 1000cr for full ship plus equipment replacement, and 500cr for ship-only replacement.
6. Pilots with a rank of "Harmless" or "Mostly Harmless" will only be charged 200cr for a full ship and equipment replacement, and 100cr for a ship-only replacement.
7. Any replacement ship will not need to be immediately overhauled.
8. Ejecting in interstellar space will still be fatal unless there is some sort of dockable station nearby. If there is, there is a chance the player will be rescued. However, due to the nature of interstellar space and any dockable ships that might be there, the player will not get a replacement ship straight away. They will be given an old Cobra Mark I which they can use to fly back to normal space, and when they dock at a station there, they will be asked what repurchase option they would like to take.
Note: This should be compatible with Auto-Eject OXP and Interstellar Tweaks OXP, but please let me know if you spot any conflicts. Also, you will need the Ship Storage Helper OXP.
I don't claim that this is fully balanced yet - I'm not sure if I need to make it easier and fairer for new Jameson's who are likely to eject more often than experienced pilots. But it's certainly working successfully and available for discussion.
Download version 0.4 here: ShipRepurchase.oxz
Plus a wiki page