Tech Shuffle

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

User avatar
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 3471
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (currently plague-ridden)
Contact:

Re: Tech Shuffle

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:58 am If it still doesn't make sense then I'm sorry but I've tried to spell it out as best I can.
That makes much more sense, thank you.

Question: does this also concur with cm's comment:
cim wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:25 am I personally just assume that the player is the subject of a giant practical joke and all the shipyard owners stick three extra zeroes onto the price tags when they see you coming
Denizen of the Dark and Dismal Deserts of Digebiti.

Milo wrote Dancing the Gavotte

Oolite BB Topic icons guide
User avatar
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2112
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Tech Shuffle

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:20 am That makes much more sense, thank you.
You mean I might be getting the hang of this? :shock: :lol:
You're welcome.

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:20 am Question: does this also concur with cm's comment:
cim wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:25 am I personally just assume that the player is the subject of a giant practical joke and all the shipyard owners stick three extra zeroes onto the price tags when they see you coming
I'd put it this way:

Whenever you buy or sell ANYTHING at a main station, 99 times out of 100, a piece of the pie finds its way into the GalCop coffers.
It needn't be ships particularly and certainly wouldn't have to be to the degree that cim suggested (could be though...)

Free bar snacks are for those buying the beer. Sure, they make a loss on the snacks but...
User avatar
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2112
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Tech Shuffle

Post by Redspear »

Version 1.0 now available.

Includes some alterations from the chart in the original post, as discussed up-thread.
User avatar
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 3471
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (currently plague-ridden)
Contact:

Re: Tech Shuffle

Post by Cholmondely »

Just pondering the consequences of this one...


Jumping into Low TL systems might now become virtually suicidal. There might no way out unless one has fuel scoops (or one is willing to follow anybody jumping out to anywhere!). One can just see the pirates rubbbing their hands in gleeee! 😜

Surely this would stimulate a market in escape routes? And in second hand fuel! And in second hand scoops!

NB: Wiki page now up!

Oh - and might this not be better classified as mechanics (it's not adding new equipment, just modifying the mechanics of the equipment that's already there...).
Denizen of the Dark and Dismal Deserts of Digebiti.

Milo wrote Dancing the Gavotte

Oolite BB Topic icons guide
User avatar
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2112
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Tech Shuffle

Post by Redspear »

Later vesrions will likely include a warning on the f7 screen: "So and so station does not supply fuel" in a suitably attention attracting colour.

If it makes the player think twice then that's intentional and it's one of the easiest oxps to tweak to one's own tastes.

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:39 pm NB: Wiki page now up!
Thanks once again!... I'm not sure that's entirely up to date however (see subsequent messages after first post) but I can edit it myself later.

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:39 pmOh - and might this not be better classified as mechanics (it's not adding new equipment, just modifying the mechanics of the equipment that's already there...).
Not sure that altering the tech level counts as 'mechanics' as such. I think I can see the case for your argument but then it isn't strictly adding new mechanics, just modifying the equipment for mechanics that are already there. So... ???
User avatar
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 3471
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (currently plague-ridden)
Contact:

Re: Tech Shuffle

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:52 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:39 pm NB: Wiki page now up!
Thanks once again!... I'm not sure that's entirely up to date however (see subsequent messages after first post) but I can edit it myself later.
I thought I'd included your later amendments, but I didn't follow all the logic and may well have included a mistake or two.
Denizen of the Dark and Dismal Deserts of Digebiti.

Milo wrote Dancing the Gavotte

Oolite BB Topic icons guide
User avatar
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2112
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Tech Shuffle

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:29 pm I thought I'd included your later amendments, but I didn't follow all the logic and may well have included a mistake or two.
Perhaps you did and it might be my lazy reading of it :lol:
I'll check at some point, meanwhile further kudos for your (considerable) industry.
User avatar
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2112
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Tech Shuffle

Post by Redspear »

v 1.1 available
I'm not posting the specific changes here just yet, so as not to spur the prolific Cholmondely into editing action too early.
I'd like to let the dust settle on this version for a while before I see if I wish to change things further (or risk driving wiki-editors mad with frustration).
Post Reply