Commies.oxp (v2.07)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

GearsNSuch
Competent
Competent

Re: Commies.oxp (v2.07)

Post by GearsNSuch »

Thank you! I will definitely try those out and see what works. I guess some slow plasma cannons could be an option...

I had no idea that Soviet bus stops were so varied! I imagined they would simply be grey cubes with rusty sheetmetal, but I guess that just because the government was how it was doesn't mean the people were that way! Artists and architects will always find an outlet. I like how the structures combine unique geometric shapes with a more local decorative style- very distinctive and expressive. Fascinating to see how such a mundane, everyday thing as a bus stop can be a work of art. Thank you for sharing!

I think that the bus stop designs could definitely carry over- that early Space Race aesthetic. It might be a nice touch to have the distinctive shapes and lines differentiating the Communist systems. I don't know if I have the modeling prowess to do so, but I will definitely try.

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Loved that you used an actual asteroid 8)
GearsNSuch wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:06 pm
"With our thoughts, we make the world" :-) - - - Game too slow for you? Masslock Compensators - - - Trouble getting out of trouble? Indestructible Injectors

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Quite Glossy for commies ;)

gloss = 0.6;
shininess = 30;

Bit of paint

Overall a very nice commuter :)

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Very cool. Note that shininess is not used in the current lighting model though.

GearsNSuch
Competent
Competent

Post by GearsNSuch »

Ooh, I like that new paint job! Might be nice to stick some other colors in there alongside the typical Soviet green.

I agree, the gloss was way too high. I modified the texture to make the paint flat and put in the numbers you suggested. I also received the intensity of the normal map and corrected some issues so it doesn’t look quite as... chunky?

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

for me it's clunkyness is part of it's charm :)

GearsNSuch
Competent
Competent

Post by GearsNSuch »

So, I got a little distracted and tried to make some new textures for the Commuter, but the UV map I originally made was not exactly easy to work with. Lines were crooked, nothing aligned, everything was a different size- the works. I straightened the UVs and pretty much remade the textures. The result looks slightly sharper and is much easier to work with. Now, the Commuter comes in three paint schemes:

Hot off the State-Controlled Press

Proletariat Patina

Soviet Celebration

I applied these textures to the three different variants of commuters that spawn, but I have no idea what the difference is between them. Ah well.
Also, here is a zip file containing the GIMP and Blender files for the commuter, in case anyone else wants to make additional textures.

Google Drive

montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

My personal 2-cents, it looks great. While I am not that much into the red/yellow version your 2 other textures are really eye-catchers. :wink:
Trying to survive behind the controls of a Caduceus Psi XT in Alpha test :lol: