Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:43 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)
Introducing the Fer-de-Lance 3G 'Delux-o-Tank' Variant:

At five times the cost of the 3G+(t) model, you get: an extra energy bank; increased energy recharge; more missile slots; slightly beefier turrets; and . . slightly reduced manoeuvrability and slightly reduced cargo capacity (but with no change in ship external size, because I am lazy). And taking out one of these tanks is indeed very hard - yet fear not, for it is (at present anyway) available only to the player (though it would be interesting to see how one of these fares against the top-end, NPC-only 3Gs . .).

The ship is available in the latest (viz., 6.3) version of the expansion pack, which is now available in the in-game manager. Finding one of these tanks to purchase, though, is a difficult proposition (even if you have the cash).

I'm afraid that I have not changed the external views. (See post above.) Should anyone want to do this or help me to do this, please drop me a line. In the meantime, I am working on making the game even easier by making missiles blow up when the player cloaks. You know, like they used to . .

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:45 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

What I'd really need is military scanner filtering though. None of your player versions can have it, but the NPCs can have the jammer. And this is the only reason I want the filter, as none of my other OXPs let NPCs have the jammer.
The military manta ray I'm flying has a turret on each side with weapon energy 25. While most of the other properties (except size I think - at least speed, weapon mounts, max energy, cargo and energy recharge) are worse than your 3G+(t) (ex-police), I wouldn't want to "upgrade" because of this. I've seen the military manta ray being generated with the military scanner filter once, but never again since.
The sensible thing to do would be to remove both jammer and filter from all ships, as these core features are unsupported. And I've read somewhere that the jamming doesn't work anyway if the player applies it. (How would an AI cope with it ?)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:37 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Anonymissimus:

Some things for me to think about there. I'll try to do so when I have the time.

For now, I'll just mention that actually the 'tank' version is beefier than the ex-police version (and the NPC-only police version). For the 'tank' has more energy, much better recharge rate (although actually I think I made have set the ex-police rate too low, by mistake . .or perhaps it was a favour to the player), and more missile slots. The only things the police models have over the tank are small: slightly greater manoeuvrablity; slightly greater speed; a bit more cargo capacity (not that they really need it); slightly more powerful turrets.

The 3G you really wants is the (NPC only!) 'Interstellar BugBlatter'! (And I think I'd better stop making variants now. It's getting silly!)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:17 pm 
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

love the call-backs to the original 8-bit elite wireframe style in that new ferdy, really smashing stuff, looks as dangerous as hell! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:42 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thanks, Griff! I'm flattered!