[WIP]Miner Pod OXP (v0.1 Released)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

User avatar
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: A GH shop, near witchpoint to Oresrati in Galaxy 8

[WIP]Miner Pod OXP (v0.1 Released)

Post by Okti »

After the post of pagroove in A Suggestion for an equipment, I decided to give a try to this OXP.

The Beta Release of this OXP can be downloaded from Here

Known problems

I could not get to manage the reactToAIMessage properly. If some one can identify the problem, It will be much apreciated.

This Equipment is based on Thargon technology and with the help of nicking code from our Thargoid :D
Last edited by Okti on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
User avatar
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP

Post by Thargoid »

I see in nicking my scripting you've also acquired my tendency to write OXPs from other people's ideas and requests too ;)

Nice one :D
User avatar
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: A GH shop, near witchpoint to Oresrati in Galaxy 8

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP

Post by Okti »

Thargoid wrote:I see in nicking my scripting you've also acquired my tendency to write OXPs from other people's ideas and requests too ;)

Nice one :D
If I can sort the last problem I've got with the OXP.

Thanks Thargoid.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
User avatar
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:48 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP

Post by Eric Walch »

Okti wrote:I could not get to manage the reactToAIMessage properly. If some one can identify the problem, It will be much apreciated.
I have not looked deeply at how everything interacts, but I noticed

Code: Select all

"TARGET_LOST" = ("sendScriptMessage: informState","setStateTo: LOOK_FOR_SPLINTERS");
"QUIT" = ("commsMessageByUnpiloted: Cargo Full Miner returning.","setStateTo: PREPARE_FOR_COLLECTION");
TARGET_LOST triggers a "reactToAIMessage: QUIT". That sets the state to PREPARE_FOR_COLLECTION. After that the original message goes further and sets the state to LOOK_FOR_SPLINTERS.
I don't know if this is your problem, but it looks like it does not do what you want. Since 1.75 we also have a "sendAIMessage". It does the same as reactToAIMessage but not immediately, it does it on the next update. This allows to finish a line before acting on the next message. Generally I prefer this 'slow' command because it gives less surprises and missed it in previous releases.
User avatar
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 3035
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: On a famous planet

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP

Post by pagroove »

Interesting equipment,

I see lots of drones firing from my ship and they all goes asteroid hunting. But then after pickup I can find a handfull. When I docked again I got nothing. No mission screen and I didn't get anything. Or is this the part that is not scripted atm?

But it is fun to see the pods collect. I think it should be less pods though. Couldn't there be just one or 2 machines that mine instead of 20 or so?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
Image
http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
User avatar
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: A GH shop, near witchpoint to Oresrati in Galaxy 8

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP

Post by Okti »

Eric Walch wrote:Since 1.75 we also have a "sendAIMessage"
Thanks Eric, That solved the problem.
pagroove wrote:Interesting equipment,

I see lots of drones firing from my ship and they all goes asteroid hunting. But then after pickup I can find a handfull. When I docked again I got nothing. No mission screen and I didn't get anything. Or is this the part that is not scripted atm?

But it is fun to see the pods collect. I think it should be less pods though. Couldn't there be just one or 2 machines that mine instead of 20 or so?
There was a bug in the AI, which did not execute some part of the AI. After they collect enough comodidities or there are no rocks near by, Only one of them remains and comes to a distance near your ship and becomes an uncontrolled Targon. So you can scoop it.

By scooping the miner, all items collected by them are transfered to your cargo hold. And the equipment can be used again.

I dont know how they manage to fit all those into their tiny bodies, but I suspect the code I nicked from Thargoid uses his HyperCargo :lol:

We must determine a realistic price for this equipment. And Number of helpers. :?:
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
User avatar
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:48 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP

Post by Eric Walch »

Eric Walch wrote:Generally I prefer this 'slow' command because it gives less surprises and missed it in previous releases.
Not fully true as the 'slow' command that acts on the next update, has other surprises, like the code switched trough several states during the current update and ending up in quite a different place than anticipated in the next update. :(
Therefor its good we now have both commands available to the JS.
User avatar
lave
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:21 am
Location: Deep in Leesti space mining asteroids for a living.
Contact:

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP (UPDATED)

Post by lave »

I just tried this out and it seems to work OK.

One thing I did notice is that it uses the same missile icon as the ETT homing beacon, so it could get a bit confusing as to which is which.

Also, Like someone above said, it would be better with just 1 pod doing to mining, instead of loads of them. Plus it will take a bit longer for just 1 to do the mining. This adds more realism to the game.

Lastly, when I tried it out, I got a full hold of cargo from just one asteriod.
Maybe you should only be able to get a few tonnes from each asteroid like you do when you use a mining laser.

Apart from that, it is a good start. I definately like it.
User avatar
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 3035
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: On a famous planet

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP (UPDATED)

Post by pagroove »

lave wrote:I just tried this out and it seems to work OK.

One thing I did notice is that it uses the same missile icon as the ETT homing beacon, so it could get a bit confusing as to which is which.

Also, Like someone above said, it would be better with just 1 pod doing to mining, instead of loads of them. Plus it will take a bit longer for just 1 to do the mining. This adds more realism to the game.

Lastly, when I tried it out, I got a full hold of cargo from just one asteriod.
Maybe you should only be able to get a few tonnes from each asteroid like you do when you use a mining laser.

Apart from that, it is a good start. I definately like it.
+1
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
Image
http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
User avatar
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: A GH shop, near witchpoint to Oresrati in Galaxy 8

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP (UPDATED)

Post by Okti »

I think what I can do is to sell the Launcher with only one tharglets, and each helper can be bought seperately for unpatient players like me up to a certain number.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
User avatar
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 3035
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: On a famous planet

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP (UPDATED)

Post by pagroove »

Thats an idea. I can make a separate texture for the mining module. I find the Thargoid texture not so appropriate.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
Image
http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
User avatar
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: A GH shop, near witchpoint to Oresrati in Galaxy 8

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP (UPDATED)

Post by Okti »

pagroove wrote:Thats an idea. I can make a separate texture for the mining module. I find the Thargoid texture not so appropriate.
I am not good at textures and models. If you can provide them it will be joint work. I will try to handle the AI bit which may need to be improved, and JS part. And I will be off work for two weeks after thursday. So we can do a lot things.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
User avatar
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: A GH shop, near witchpoint to Oresrati in Galaxy 8

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP (UPDATED)

Post by Okti »

Also a new model other than which I used can be helpfull. If some one can help on that, it will be much apreciated.

I am trying to correct the AI, by using JS but things are not to my satisfaction yet.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
User avatar
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: A GH shop, near witchpoint to Oresrati in Galaxy 8

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP (v0.1 Released)

Post by Okti »

New Version of this OXP is released. It can be downloaded from my signature under Other OXP's.

Improvements:

1- The AI is modified to catch every splinter scooped visually to match the items collected by the minerpods.

2- The Launcher comes with only one minerpod.

3- You can buy additional helpers seperately up to your credits in your bank account :D

4- Also a Rock Breaker can be bought seperately to increase efficiency of the miner pods.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
User avatar
lave
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:21 am
Location: Deep in Leesti space mining asteroids for a living.
Contact:

Re: [WIP]Miner Pod OXP (v0.1 Released)

Post by lave »

Downloading now.

Thanks.
Post Reply