toggle offline by the player using underscore key to enable Supercruise
That way would be best - some minor prep is good.
Moreover in this case the first way is good also, you can toggle between yellow and green alert with your weapons key.
Now I am thinking on a dual solution which complements each other. I wrote these before the "torus-2" post of Disembodied, this is why contain both simiar and different ideas.
1. Cruise (7x)
Redirects energy from weapons, shields and maneuvering thrusters to main engines.
When you toggle weapons off the maxSpeed of your ship jump to 7x but suffer the followings:
- must hold down speedup key much longer than usual as spool-up to reach cruise speed,
- shields start depleting proportionally with speed,
- drain energy if no shields left and slow back to normal (1/7 of current max.) if energy is low,
- controls slow back to normal speed so must accelerate again after any direction adjustment,
- collision prevention slow also to normal speed if anything is near in front of your ship,
- red alert slow you also so must use injectors for escape.
This help to new players also due to not need Injectors.
Injectors can reduce the spinup time by using fuel but do nothing at cruise speed.
If the list sounds too strict for the benefit then equipment upgrades can reduce some drawbacks.
For example a tool which allow usage in red alert can help out of trouble if fuel run out, but this change the combat odds so should not be available at start imho.
Another equipment can allow Injectors to add +7x speed to cruise and reach 14x in total, consuming fuel at normal rate.
2. Supercruise (32x)
Faster and still possible to activate near friendly ships with the following rules:
- clear all shields and no restore at stop so you risk instant lost of injectors in a surprise attack, although no energy drain at least,
- requires Deep Space Pirates OXP to off-lane tactics be less safe,
- need preparations: toggle weapons offline and turn to a proper direction,
- green alert appear only if head to a planet, sun or a beacon on advanced compass,
- controls locked: must turn off with "j" or slowdown key before any direction change,
- get masslock when a ship appear on scanner, but alert stay green if not in front of you,
- unusable in red alert,
- speed limit 7x until scanner is not empty (the trick for this is change maxSpeed to 7/32 temporary),
- replace Torus completely, so no green alert at all with online weapons or without destination.
In a dangerous system better if use cruise only to keep shields up. You will lose all shields even if activated in empty space so should reduce the attraction of the off-lane detour.
If weapons offline and player change the target on compass then possible to auto turn the ship to the selected object. So what the player must do:
- turn off weapons,
- select target on compass (or turn the ship manually),
- wait a bit until steering is finished and alert become green,
- press "j".
Advanced compass has a "Target" mode also, if you press compass selection key until it shown then possible to ignite Supercruise to the direction of your current target. If it is on your scanner then the collision prevention keep alert yellow but Telescope OXP demonstrate how to put target box on objects outside scanner range. This way could allow Supercruise to any locations.