Do you know your Star sign?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

User avatar
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin
Posts: 8408
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Disunited Kingdom
Contact:

Do you know your Star sign?

Post by Smivs »

You probably think you do, but you'd be wrong. Because of the Earth's wobble and general movement around the Universe, the Constellations have moved and therefore so have the Zodiacal Star Signs.
I used to be a Virgo, but it seems I'm now a Leo. How confusing. :shock:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.

User avatar
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by Thargoid »

And there's even a 13th star sign, if you look at your second link carefully ;)

User avatar
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Posts: 6657
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by JensAyton »

There are a great many “news” stories every day that have no journalistic value whatsoever, but I can’t recall one anywhere near as vapid as this.

User avatar
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin
Posts: 1743
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:54 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by Rxke »

I'm always a bit disturbed by the fact that, when the subject crops up, it turns out people often know their star-sign better than their blood-type...

Something is wrong in our educational system.

User avatar
Commander McLane
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 9520
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:08 am
Location: a Hacker Outpost in a moderately remote area
Contact:

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by Commander McLane »

I've extracted the only relevant bit whatsoever from the first link:
... said Kunkle, who says that his sign is “vegetarian.”
I think nothing further has to be added on the subject of "star signs and astrology".

User avatar
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin
Posts: 8408
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Disunited Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by Smivs »

Commander McLane wrote:I've extracted the only relevant bit whatsoever from the first link:
... said Kunkle, who says that his sign is “vegetarian.”
Strangely, I never really feel safe around vegetarians :o
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I don't believe in Astrology, but apparently must Virgo's don't... :wink:
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13804
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by Cody »

There’s just something special… a certain ‘je ne sais quoi’… about people born in September, as was I.

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I always knew we connected on a deeper, more spiritual level EV. Want to rub my healing crystals? :wink:
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13804
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by Cody »

<ceases yogic flying… settles gently to the floor>

'Healing crystal', you say… on your bike, son!

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:<ceases yogic flying… settles gently to the floor>

'Healing crystal', you say… on your bike, son!
tsk, tsk, tsk - here try some calming aquamarine... :D
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13804
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by Cody »

Hey, it's working already... I've just found that I can laugh without having a coughing fit...yippee!

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Then my work here is done... :wink:
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

User avatar
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by Phantom Hoover »

God, this smegging "story". It's utterly utterly utterly idiotic. The star signs have been wrong for ages, but it's being reported as if it's suddenly been revised, presumably because journalists are cretins who have no idea what they're going on about.

Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:45 am
Location: Around Rabiarce or Lasoce

Re: Do you know your Star sign?

Post by Ganelon »

14 signs, if you count Cetus the whale. Not like this is any new idea. "Corrected" systems have been around for a long time.

Theoretically, astrology originated from noting people born at some times tended to have different personality traits than people born at other times, and allegedly ancient scholars noted all that down over a period of centuries and.. Well, even if that were true, somehow it ended up turning into a pseudoscience suitable for little daily sun-sign "horoscopes" that look suspiciously like the stuff written on slips of paper in fortune cookies. I tend to somewhat doubt the allegedly empirical origins.

In any case, even if that huge number of carefully noted observations ever did happen, it would be largely worthless when mankind starts to move off the Earth anyway since the system is inherently geocentric. No reason to believe the influences (assuming they exist) are going to be the same if one is living on Mars (for example) and even if such influences do indeed exist, people would be back to square one when it comes to figuring out the alleged trends.

On the practical side, however, the addition of a sign or two to the zodiac may increase the sales of assorted astrological jewellery and other such trinkets. This could be good news to the people in the biz of selling gold or silver plated pot-metal pendants and etc. :lol:

Scene in a spacer bar--

He: "What's your sign, baby?"
She [pointing to the airlock]: "Walk!"
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.

Post Reply