Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:55 pm 
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

As you know, Oolite has been designed to be portable and playable even from a USB stick. Here is a little experiment for those feeling adventurous to take the concept a little bit further: What if you could have a simple and very easy to move around distribution of the game, at the same time offering a more up to date visual and audio experience? Something that you could use to demonstrate Oolite to a friend, with plenty of eye candy and sound fx, without having to go looking for OXPs first?

Well, here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwG6R5 ... sp=sharing
The zip file you can download contains a 174MB executable and a readme file. I would suggest having a look at the readme before running it, but here are the main points:

- It has been created using the Enigma Virtual Box packaging and virtualization application. When run, it decompresses in memory.
- It is not an installer. It is the v1.86 game executable, completely autonomous. When you run it, Oolite starts up.
- The game contains a few selected OXPs, already embedded in the game's core Resources folder. The selection is completely personal preference and if you don't like it, well, sorry :-). Check out the included readme for details on what is there.
- The executable runs in both 32 and 64 bit Windows (Vista SP2 or later).
- The game executable has been tweaked to start up by default in desktop full screen rather than windowed mode.
- You cannot remove or update any of the embedded OXPs using the in-game OXP Manager. The OXPs that are included are considered part of Core in this distribution. You can do whatever you want with any other OXP not already included.
- You cannot use post-processing effect injectors like Reshade on this distribution due to the EVB format of the executable.
- Your anti-virus may throw a heuristic fit at it because of its format and in-memory decompression activities. If it does, it is a false positive.

It seems to work pretty well for me so far. If you want to play with it, feel free and let me know if there is anything that requires attention. I hope this can be of interest to our Windows users, although it should be considered experimental at this stage.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:37 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

This solves the main issue - the lack of eye candy wrt today's players expectations - when one wants to "advertize" Oolite, so I will certainly give that link if I get the chance.