Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:03 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

Several days go my Linux distro (Manjaro) had quite a large update (if memory serves it was between 600-700 meg).
Anyhow it appears that since that update my Oolite (1.86) is suffering at times from a diminished key repeat issue.

For example if I am hold "i" to inject away, injectors will engage for around 8 seconds and then cease until I release "i" and depress it again.
The same is true at times of holding shift to repeatedly tap "N" to cycle through equip rather than activate using "n", I will sometimes get equipment activating even though shift is held down.
Sometimes piloting the ship seems to suffer from the same issue, especially if I am holding up or down to bring ship about 180 degrees, I will find that my course change halts part way through until I release the key and then depress again.
As yet I haven't noticed anything else suffering from this behaviour (just Oolite) I just wanted to ask if any other users of Manjaro or indeed any other Linux distro has experienced any similar problems with Oolite?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:12 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)
Is the problem persists with another keyboard, or with different repeat/sec settings?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:01 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

Thanks for the suggestion Norby.
It didn't look like a keyboard / keyboard settings issue (but then I remember lots of instances in the past where I discounted an explanation because it was too obvious - to my folly).
So I have tested with an alternate keyboard (packed up my cherry and replaced with a spare Logitech :( ) No change there - aside from being less pleasant to type on.
I have also tried doubling the keyboard repeat speed from 20 to 40 with no change in behaviour regarding Oolite.

Ahh - knock me down with a feather - the distro update gods must be spying on me - my little update icon has just lit up red which means more updates are waiting.

I'll update again and try running Oolite again in case the updates make any difference.

Will post back once done.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:36 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

Apologies for the delay in reporting back.
After a couple of batches of updates, kernel updates amongst them I still have the odd behaviour present.
The odd thing that I have noticed is that the ship will circle by holding climb or dive, but if another key is depressed it revokes the held key after around 4 seconds.
I've tried another save game just in case it was something to do with the python commander ship which I am currently using but alas found the same issue with a previous game in which I have a cobra mk 4.

I'll try my alternate LTS kernel to see if it makes any difference and report back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:43 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)
At last resort buy a gamepad - keyboard-like usage but different interface so should workaround the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 pm 
Commodore
Commodore

Location: [p]laying [h]ard and [k]icking [b]utt somewhere in G7...
You could also try doing a test with an older version of Oolite (say, 1.84 or 1.82) and seeing if the problem persists.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 pm 
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Older versions of Oolite are available here - and just to check: you are using a Linux Oolite from here, yes?

Ahh yes, Oolite 1.65 - I remember it well.

To a world of dreams, my friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:11 am 
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).
Cody wrote:
Quote:
...and just to check: you are using a Linux Oolite from here, yes?...
@Damocles Edge
Could you check that you get the same behavior when running Oolite using the oolite.org package?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:42 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

Sorry I have been away from Oolite for some time (not like me).

Subsequent updates to my Manjaro rig have not addressed this strange issue, but I have learned to adjust my Oolite play (key depression sequence) to allow for it.
I can confirm that I am using the oolite.org package 1.86 (have been ever since I found that the distro install of Oolite scattered files between home and root partitions).

It's got me foxed because I know that my Oolite install hasn't changed (aside from oxp's) so therefore it must be something that has changed with the updates to my Manjaro install.
Rolling back to an older version of Oolite sounds quite a chore and I would guess that it probably won't resolve whatever the issue is (as 1.86 was previously running just fine for a long time).

Many thanks to everyone for their input and ideas.

Apologies once again for being away for so long.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:03 am 
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).
Nice to here that you have adapted your handling.
I hope this doesn't affect your dog fighting or evasive maneuvers, though. :wink:

I will try to replicate the issue. Please, share some info about your Manjaro installation.
Talking about 64bit Manjaro distro, right?
XFCE, KDE or GNOME desktop environment?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:05 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

Quote:
Nice to here that you have adapted your handling.
I hope this doesn't affect your dog fighting or evasive maneuvers, though. :wink:
At times it does - but not too often - Python's don't dogfight too well, so I prefer to keep my quarry at a distance.
Quote:
I will try to replicate the issue. Please, share some info about your Manjaro installation.
Talking about 64bit Manjaro distro, right?
XFCE, KDE or GNOME desktop environment?
I use XFCE 64bit (can't see there being many folks at all using 32bit).

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:56 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)
Damocles

Are you using a Lenovo computer? It's been revealed recently that Lenovo computers - well, some ThinkPads at least - have very buggy keyboard firmware. (And that might fit some experiences I have had on my Linux - Linux Mint 0 ThinkPad, though I play Oolite only on my Windows desktop.)