Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:24 am
Location: California

Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by Chrisfs »

I haven't been around for a while, but I figured I would install 1.76. However it seems like I am completely failing at doing that. I downloaded oolite-1.76.linux-x86.tgz and extracted oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run. I put that in my home directory. Then I opened a terminal window and typed sudo oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run and it replied
sudo: oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run: command not found

So I am perplexed as to what to do next. Any suggestions?

User avatar
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 pm
Location: Help! I'm stranded down here on Earth!

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by SandJ »

Chrisfs wrote:I opened a terminal window and typed sudo oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run and it replied
sudo: oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run: command not found
I get the same error doing the same thing. But that's because it's not
[color=#0000FF] sudo oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run[/color]
it's
[size=150] [color=#008000] [b]sh[/b] oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run[/color][/size]

Edit: this works too:
[size=150] sudo [b]./[/b]oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run[/size]


Just tried it, it works.

My Ubuntu 10.04 now has "Oolite v1.76 - Dec 15 2011" installed. :D
Last edited by SandJ on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.

User avatar
ulaidian
Competent
Competent
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:04 pm
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by ulaidian »

Same here.. though I just downloaded it from the main site (Berlin something or other), and it worked fine.

User avatar
Micha
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 815
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by Micha »

Chrisfs wrote:Then I opened a terminal window and typed sudo oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run and it replied
sudo: oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run: command not found

So I am perplexed as to what to do next. Any suggestions?
Or, alternatively, for a system-wide install:
chmod +x ./oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run
sudo ./oolite-1.76.linux-x86.run


The "./" is important because, by default in Unix, the current directory is not in the search path, unlike DOS/Windows where it is.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

User avatar
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 pm
Location: Help! I'm stranded down here on Earth!

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by SandJ »

Micha wrote:by default in Unix, the current directory is not in the search path
Good heavens, I never knew that. :oops: Tests for myself ... indeed: sh works without the ./ but sudo does not.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.

User avatar
Micha
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 815
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by Micha »

I've made install packages for 32- and 64-bit Debian lenny and squeeze, and Ubuntu lucid and maverick, although they are not linked on the pages yet.
To test, go to http://debs.oolite.org/AptSources.html, and replace the 'test' with 'release' in the deb sources for your distro.

Feedback welcome.

PS. You can't use the Software Centre in Ubuntu because newer versions of it refuse to install unsigned packages. You have to use Synaptic, aptitude, or similar tools.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

User avatar
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 pm
Location: Help! I'm stranded down here on Earth!

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by SandJ »

Edit: the problem below was a lack of an icon caused by the need to remove "Hidden=true" from a .desktop file, in turn caused by telling the 'Main Menu' program to delete the Oolite icon, which does not really delete it but merely make it 'Hidden' in a bad magical way.

In Ubuntu 10.04
- clean reboot
- ensured no Oolite is installed
- checked there is a repository "http://debs.oolite.org /lucid gnustep release"
- at the command prompt entered "dpkg --listfiles oolite" and got told "Packages does not contain any files"
- at the command prompt entered "sudo apt-get install oolite", got the verification and error and responded "y" to "Install these packages without verification"
- at the command prompt entered "dpkg --listfiles oolite" and can see stuff in /usr/share and /usr/lib and /usr/games amongst others
- definitely no Oolite icon in the Games menu (or anywhere else)
- entering "oolite" at the command line does indeed run Oolite.
Last edited by SandJ on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.

User avatar
Micha
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 815
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by Micha »

SandJ wrote: - definitely no Oolite icon in the Games menu (or anywhere else)
Ok, finally managed to dust off my Lucid VM and test it, and I cannot repro this bug; game icon appears as it should (under "Games") after installation, and disappears, as it should, upon deinstallation.

You -are- running the standard Gnome desktop?
You have not fiddled with the menu (ie, other newly-installed apps appear as they should)?
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

User avatar
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 pm
Location: Help! I'm stranded down here on Earth!

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by SandJ »

Micha wrote:
SandJ wrote: - definitely no Oolite icon in the Games menu (or anywhere else)
Ok, finally managed to dust off my Lucid VM and test it, and I cannot repro this bug; game icon appears as it should (under "Games") after installation, and disappears, as it should, upon deinstallation.

You -are- running the standard Gnome desktop?
You have not fiddled with the menu (ie, other newly-installed apps appear as they should)?
GNOME: 2.30.2 (Ubuntu 2010-06-25). It is the Ubuntu Netbook Edition which does have a different appearance to the normal desktop.

If I do 'sudo apt-get install 3dchess' I have a new icon under 'Games'. 'sudo apt-get remove 3dchess' makes it disappear.

'sudo apt-get install oolite' installs oolite v1.76 but does not create an icon under 'Games'.

If I remove debs.oolite.org from the software sources, then oolite v1.65-2 is installed ... also without an icon.

OK, it is probably something on my PC that is playing up.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.

User avatar
Micha
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 815
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by Micha »

SandJ wrote:It is the Ubuntu Netbook Edition which does have a different appearance to the normal desktop.
Aha!
Presumably the Ubuntu Netbook Edition (which, iirc, uses a precursor of Unity) does not entirely adhere to the Linux Desktop Standard. I shall investigate.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Micha wrote:
SandJ wrote:It is the Ubuntu Netbook Edition which does have a different appearance to the normal desktop.
Aha!
Presumably the Ubuntu Netbook Edition (which, iirc, uses a precursor of Unity) does not entirely adhere to the Linux Desktop Standard. I shall investigate.
Did you investigate? A netbook is still on my wish list and I intend to put Linux/Ubuntu on it at the earliest...
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

User avatar
Micha
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 815
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by Micha »

DaddyHoggy wrote: Did you investigate? A netbook is still on my wish list and I intend to put Linux/Ubuntu on it at the earliest...
I did a basic comparison of the 3dchess and oolite packages, but as far as I can work out they pretty much do the same thing for menus - just a case of installing certain files. Unless the 3dchess package does something specific in its post-install script to support the Ubuntu netbook edition but I didn't get that deep into it.

I have not had time to install a netbook-edition of Ubuntu. In either case I'm guessing you'll install the latest version of Ubuntu when you do, which has Unity and is something else again.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Micha wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote: Did you investigate? A netbook is still on my wish list and I intend to put Linux/Ubuntu on it at the earliest...
I did a basic comparison of the 3dchess and oolite packages, but as far as I can work out they pretty much do the same thing for menus - just a case of installing certain files. Unless the 3dchess package does something specific in its post-install script to support the Ubuntu netbook edition but I didn't get that deep into it.

I have not had time to install a netbook-edition of Ubuntu. In either case I'm guessing you'll install the latest version of Ubuntu when you do, which has Unity and is something else again.
I was hoping to avoid a unity based interface - I like gnome - I was planning on 10.04 if I could still get it by the time funds and the netbook I want to buy being in stock are temporally collocated...
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

User avatar
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by Thargoid »

I've been playing with an install of Linux Mint Lisa on a USB stick, which might be more to your tastes DH? Both Oolite versions (1.76 and last night's trunk) installed and ran fine, and the debug console works too. At least until it tried to update itself (Mint that is) and ran out of space on the USB stick (it's only a 2GB one), but aside from that it was happily chugging along on full shaders and about the same frame rate as under Win7.

Now I just need to consider if I want to switch the netbook across to a dual-boot, given other than messing about with it I don't have much need for Linux.

User avatar
Micha
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 815
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Help with installing 1.76 on Ubuntu

Post by Micha »

DaddyHoggy wrote:I was hoping to avoid a unity based interface - I like gnome - I was planning on 10.04 if I could still get it by the time funds and the netbook I want to buy being in stock are temporally collocated...
If you stick with the standard Gnome desktop and not the Ubuntu-Netbook variant or Unity or any similar silliness it -should- "just work". :)
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Post Reply