location of oolite AddOns folder on Linux ?

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Post Reply
User avatar
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:59 pm
Location: Netherlands

location of oolite AddOns folder on Linux ?

Post by Lone_Wolf »

I've always thought OXPs should be in ~/.oolite/AddOns on linux, but the post below (copied from http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f= ... 30#p192129 in the windows subforum)makes me wonder.
Diziet Sma wrote:
El Viejo wrote:Hi and welcome - try reading the Wiki section on installing OXPs.
Erk! I just noticed how out-of-date the stated location for the Linux AddOns folder is! Fixed.
The wiki now states :
The directory to install OXPs in is ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns for all current versions of Oolite.

relevant part of my latest log :

Code: Select all

22:15:33.993 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
    /usr/share/oolite/Resources
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Cabal_Common_Library1.7.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Povray_Planets_Galaxy7_Textures.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Target Autolock Plus 1.12.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Povray_Planets_Galaxy1_Textures_v1.1.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Famous_Planets_v2.5.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Povray_Planets_1.0.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/BGS-A1.6.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/missile_spoof 1.02.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/RepairBots 2.09.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/ShieldEqualizer+Capacitors(v1.3).oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Povray_Planets_Galaxy3_Textures.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/ShieldCycler 0.30.3.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Povray_Planets_Galaxy8_Textures.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Povray_Planets_Galaxy2_Textures.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/longway 1.1.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Griff_Shipset_Replace_v1.34.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/OXPConfig2.0.14.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/accessoriesV2.1.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Povray_Planets_Galaxy4_Textures.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/randomshipnames1.2.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Delightful-Docking.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Fuel Tank v2.2.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Povray_Planets_Galaxy5_Textures.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Povray_Planets_Galaxy6_Textures.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Fair_Cobra_III_1.0.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/MilHUD-v4.0.oxp
The installer/updater are not used on archlinux, instead Oolite is build from source.
the make commands are simple :

Code: Select all

    make -f libjs.make debug=no
    make -f Makefile release
the oolite.app folder is copied to /usr/share/oolite on install, and we start oolite with a bash script.

Is the location ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns correct, and if so how do we build Oolite to use that folder for addons ?
OS : Arch Linux 64-bit - rolling release

OXPs : My user page

I am subscribed to the threads for my oxps, if you need my attention just post in them or send a pm.

User avatar
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Aboard the Pitviper S.E. "Blackwidow"

Re: location of oolite AddOns folder on Linux ?

Post by Diziet Sma »

I may have been a little premature in updating that page.

It appears that ~/.Oolite/AddOns is also still current. I suspect that's for system-wide installs. Single user installs use ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns. If someone can confirm/clarify, I'll fix my stuff-up.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

User avatar
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:35 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: location of oolite AddOns folder on Linux ?

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:I may have been a little premature in updating that page.

It appears that ~/.Oolite/AddOns is also still current. I suspect that's for system-wide installs. Single user installs use ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns. If someone can confirm/clarify, I'll fix my stuff-up.
This is exactly how I've always done things: used ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns for a home-folder install, and ~/.Oolite/AddOns/ for a system-wide install (although before I snapped to the .Oolite folder, I was using /opt/Oolite/AddOns - which was a real PITA :roll: :) ). Anyway, I've been doing system-wide installs for a while now.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'

User avatar
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Aboard the Pitviper S.E. "Blackwidow"

Re: location of oolite AddOns folder on Linux ?

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ok.. the description of the AddOns location for Linux has been corrected. Let me know if you think it needs further tweaking.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

User avatar
psuamier
Above Average
Above Average
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: location of oolite AddOns folder on Linux ?

Post by psuamier »

The statements are not all correct.

For system wide installs and local installs (irrelevant) you can and should always use

Code: Select all

~/.Oolite/AddOns
for the OXP files. The reason is simple: Upon installing a new version of Oolite the ~/GNuStep folder might be deleted. This is the folder from a local install. I will backup the complete folder (by renaming it) before installing a new version.

Note that this directory also contains the log files:

Code: Select all

~/.Oolite/Logs
The AddOns in the ~/GNuStep are simply those that are distributed with the game. I don't believe
that the normal version does contain any but I could imagine someone creating an alternative distribution of Oolite with some of the recommended OXP.

The folder

Code: Select all

 /opt/Oolite/AddOns 
serves for AddOns that someone on a multiuser systems wants to make available to all user. Still this remains an optional folder I normally would not expect to see execpt in the rare case of a multiuser computer (like a family computer where father/mother and son(s)/daughter(s) play Oolite).

I'd expect distribution packager to use /usr/games for the game itself.

In another thread I already mentioned that I saw a discrepancy in thw Wiki regarding the folders containing the OXP. All Linux application apps (should) place their configuration in some "." kind folder like .Oolite. This assumption makes it much easier to find their configuration files:

Running Oolite on Linux mentions the /usr/local folder.

This one contains system wide installs of apps/games that are installed manually instead of some kind of package systems like rpm or deb.

The other entry can be seen in the link above.

Regards
CMDR: suamor - Space Trader and Explorer - Founding member of the Elite
Elite Dangerous Beta Tester

User avatar
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Aboard the Pitviper S.E. "Blackwidow"

Re: location of oolite AddOns folder on Linux ?

Post by Diziet Sma »

psuamier wrote:The statements are not all correct.

For system wide installs and local installs (irrelevant) you can and should always use

Code: Select all

~/.Oolite/AddOns
for the OXP files. The reason is simple: Upon installing a new version of Oolite the ~/GNuStep folder might be deleted. This is the folder from a local install.
Except that the recommended method of upgrading to a new version of Oolite is to use the oolite-update script included with the original installation. This method avoids the possibility of the GNUstep folder being deleted.
psuamier wrote:The AddOns in the ~/GNuStep are simply those that are distributed with the game. I don't believe that the normal version does contain any but I could imagine someone creating an alternative distribution of Oolite with some of the recommended OXP.
Until the latest release a copy of Basic-debug.oxp was included in this folder.
psuamier wrote:The folder

Code: Select all

 /opt/Oolite/AddOns 
serves for AddOns that someone on a multiuser systems wants to make available to all user. Still this remains an optional folder I normally would not expect to see execpt in the rare case of a multiuser computer (like a family computer where father/mother and son(s)/daughter(s) play Oolite).
I will definitely clarify this point in the Wiki.
psuamier wrote:I'd expect distribution packager to use /usr/games for the game itself.
Possibly. Can anyone confirm this? It is generally recommended NOT to use distro packages of Oolite, as they always lag well behind official releases. Most distros are still back at 1.75.3. Until quite recently, most were still offering 1.65, which is years out of date.
psuamier wrote:In another thread I already mentioned that I saw a discrepancy in thw Wiki regarding the folders containing the OXP. All Linux application apps (should) place their configuration in some "." kind folder like .Oolite. This assumption makes it much easier to find their configuration files:

Running Oolite on Linux mentions the /usr/local folder.

This one contains system wide installs of apps/games that are installed manually instead of some kind of package systems like rpm or deb.

The other entry can be seen in the link above.

Regards
I checked the edit logs for the above section on installing OXPs in the Wiki, and it has not been changed since the original entry was made back in 2006. This section is horribly out of date, and to the best of my knowledge, no longer correct.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:59 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: location of oolite AddOns folder on Linux ?

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Diziet Sma wrote:
psuamier wrote:I'd expect distribution packager to use /usr/games for the game itself.
Possibly. Can anyone confirm this? It is generally recommended NOT to use distro packages of Oolite, as they always lag well behind official releases. Most distros are still back at 1.75.3. Until quite recently, most were still offering 1.65, which is years out of date.
About /usr/games :
on archlinux this is not used, there is a group games , members of which have write-access to /var/games .
It is intended to be used by games that need to write to a location that's accessible for all users.

about distro packages :
on archlinux (and derivative distros) it is always preferred to install/upgrade using the package manager (pacman) .
Since arch is a rolling-release distro (and there are active archlinux oolite users), updating only requires 1 of them to flag the oolite package as out-of-date.
Typically within a week (often 1 or 2 days) days the new version should be available through pacman.
Also arch users that install programs outside of the package manager, are expected to solve problems by themselves.
In case the wiki will mention using the installer/autoupdater as recommended, add a note that this is not recommended for archlinux and derivatives.
arch wiki has a page about oolite, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Oolite
OS : Arch Linux 64-bit - rolling release

OXPs : My user page

I am subscribed to the threads for my oxps, if you need my attention just post in them or send a pm.

User avatar
psuamier
Above Average
Above Average
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: location of oolite AddOns folder on Linux ?

Post by psuamier »

Hi,
Diziet Sma wrote: Except that the recommended method of upgrading to a new version of Oolite is to use the oolite-update script included with the original installation. This method avoids the possibility of the GNUstep folder being deleted.
The advantage of a backup and using the GNuStep folder is that you have a more easy way to check your plugins are still working in the new version.
psuamier wrote:I'd expect distribution packager to use /usr/games for the game itself.
Possibly. Can anyone confirm this? It is generally recommended NOT to use distro packages of Oolite, as they always lag well behind official releases. Most distros are still back at 1.75.3. Until quite recently, most were still offering 1.65, which is years out of date.
Not so much on Ubuntu Precise (1.76.x) but up to now no one stepped up to make a PPA for Oolite (could include a plugin pack). Probably because it's so easy to get a download version to run (and you don't even need to uninstall the old version though I'd recommend it).
I checked the edit logs for the above section on installing OXPs in the Wiki, and it has not been changed since the original entry was made back in 2006. This section is horribly out of date, and to the best of my knowledge, no longer correct.
Oh that's bad to hear as I first checked exactly this section from the manual before going to the OXP list.
Lone_Wolf wrote: About /usr/games :
on archlinux this is not used, there is a group games , members of which have write-access to /var/games .
It is intended to be used by games that need to write to a location that's accessible for all users.
Interesting as according to the Filesystem Standard "contains variable data files. This includes spool directories and files, administrative and logging data, and transient and temporary files."
.
On my system access to /var is restricted except /var/tmp though that one would be bad for installing the data. I find it a bit strange that writable data needs to be shared in that way. Though the FHS says it contains "any variable data relating to games". I wonder which kind of data this is (Update: On Ubuntu it contains High score data).

I agree that archlinux should be handled special concerning the Oolite updates.
CMDR: suamor - Space Trader and Explorer - Founding member of the Elite
Elite Dangerous Beta Tester

User avatar
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: location of oolite AddOns folder on Linux ?

Post by cim »

psuamier wrote:I wonder which kind of data [/var/games] is.
Generally high-score files, I believe.

Debian's distribution has a symlink in /usr/games as per FHS, though the app files almost all end up in /usr/lib/GNUstep

Ubuntu at 1.76.1 probably comes from just taking the Debian package, and Debian understandably prefer 'stable' releases of software, so I wouldn't expect them to package 1.77 (and certainly not in time for wheezy). Debian did pick up 1.76 pretty soon after release, though.

User avatar
ozhank
Competent
Competent
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:17 am
Location: The other side of the black stump

Re: location of oolite AddOns folder on Linux ?

Post by ozhank »

I originally installed the Ubuntu distribution version of Oolite 1.65 or something. Wouldn't work, uninstalled, so downloaded the 1.76 version and installed it system wide.

I was using the ~/.Oolite/AddOns folder for myself until grandson came and watched me playing. To protect all my data and files and own scores, I moved all my oxps from previous folder to the /opt/Oolite/AddOns that the wiki pointed out.

Now he can play and try and catchup with his Pop, using all the same resources that I have access to. My fingers and hands don't move as fast his do for sniping and destroying pirates etc, but I can still outfly and make more money trading with the odd assassin run thrown in.
"Blessed are the cracked, for they let the light shine in". Spike Milligan

Debian 9.* XFCE4 on Toshiba Laptop

Post Reply