Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: [WIP] N-Shields
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:12 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)
Need two positions:
ship.script.NShields_cloaked_attacker[b].position[/b].distanceTo(ship[b].position[/b]) < 25600)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:27 pm 
Commodore
Commodore

Location: [p]laying [h]ard and [k]icking [b]utt somewhere in G7...
Ah, yes, good catch, Norby!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:17 pm 
Competent
Competent

Fixed in 0.6.4.

Advance warning about N-Shields 0.7:
I have felt for some time that the script is getting too big and complicated, and the least necessary contributor to this (and to the remaining to-do list before I can consider a stable release) is the code supporting many different shield types. This is therefore being removed: future versions will only give dorsal/ventral shields to Thargoids and fore/aft ones to all other NPCs; the NShields_config script_info key will be deprecated and replaced by keys like max_shield_forward and shield_recharge_aft.

Due to an unrelated change to VisualEffect entities for flashers, the NShields_colours key will also probably not be supported, although there will be replacements with slightly different functionality.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:14 pm 
Competent
Competent

Okay, N-Shields 0.7.1 is finally available, with the changes promised above, plus the config interface now works properly if you have Library OXP installed.
Other changes:
- tentative support for Shield Cyclers on NPCs (but this may contain unidentified bugs)
- interim Ship Configuration compatibility script removed (now incompatible with Ship Config 0.1.x but will work OK with 0.2.0 or later).

Version 0.6.4 remains available for anyone who wants it, but will not be maintained by me.

I think this is now somewhere near stable (he says, unaware of the menagerie of hideous bugs creeping up on him). The only things I want to add now are a few more colour options, perhaps some changes to the config interface and maybe shield effects for stations?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:49 pm 
Commodore
Commodore

I'm not 100% sure, but in my play session today I was chasing down a Cobra MkIII-XT, shooting at him while he ran. This ship also has a rear laser, with which he was returning fire. But the weird thing was, whenever he landed a hit on me, I saw a flash appear on his ship, as if I had fired on him. The flash seemed to appear on his ship in the spot his laser landed on me.

Sorry for being so vague! I hope there's enough info there to track down what might be happening.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:55 pm 
Competent
Competent

Hmm. No idea what might be wrong there, although I suspect it's not the only occasional bug left in this OXP. I won't be able to fix anything soon, but please post any further data you can get on remaining bugs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:45 am 
Commodore
Commodore

OK, I think I found the main issue with the flare effect showing on the attacker, rather than on the player.

In the "N-Shields-player.js" file, add the following function to the end of the script:
Code:
this.shipLaunchedFromStation = function(station) {
	player.ship.script.NShields_sqRadius = Math.pow((player.ship.collisionRadius * 1.2), 2);
}
I don't think this is everything (in my quick tests so far I wasn't seeing any shield flare effect on the player ship) but at least it isn't showing on the attacker.

Edit: OK, the flare effects are showing, it was just that the forward view on my Python ET is set pretty far forward to avoid showing the ship model, and the flare effects were taking place behind the view position.

So I'm experimenting with changing the "1.2" multiplier in the above equation to "1.3". That seems OK in most of the ships I've tried, except for the Cobra III-XT. I suspect that, again, the forward view might be set too far forward.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:26 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

Quote:
After learning code from this OXP, i think may be developed this experimental pack: https://app.box.com/s/i2ut7sk7axxnxk0e0txlc3sucydxjqk9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:49 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

New release: Military Shields Ships OXP

Main change: For NPCs has highest energy recharge rate (more 10, simulated NEU), this OXP will replaced usual shield boosters to NPC Shield Boosters and NPC Shield Enhancers in order to simulate correctly and avoid an overfitting of the recharge rate.

Changelog:

- Added the script for spawn of the military ships without N-Shields OXP.
- Added a recharge rate in the script info.

- Added a ships with with laser cannons : anaconda-pirate-lasercannon and anaconda-lasercannon(4 ships), boa-pirate-lasercannon2, boa-mk2-lasercannon(3 ships), python-lasercannon(3 ships).
- Reduced military shield vars : python-sg, python-battlecruiser.
- Renamed and resorted a some roles.