Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Galactic Navy Licensing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:51 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

It's been brought to my attention that, somehow, Galactic Navy has escaped a license for the past several years. I intend to correct this situation, but I have a few questions that need to be answered first.

1. Does anyone have a copy of Galactic Navy prior to the 5.x releases? Those were the ones prior to me taking over the OXP, and I'm having trouble finding one. I don't know what license they were under, and I need to check.

2. If I can't find a copy or that copy doesn't have a license itself, what does that mean for the licensing of Galactic Navy? I have permission to update and maintain Galactic Navy from the original author, but I'm uncertain if that extends to its licensing.

3. Assuming that neither of the above presents an issue, I'm quite alright with people using whatever assets they wish from the OXP, and my only stipulation is that they not release under the Galactic Navy name without my consent. What license would cover that?

4. I would like to pass control of the mod to someone with more time and energy for it than I. Is there anyone who is both willing and able to do so?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:51 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I doubt there is any licence in the earlier versions. From the tone of the messages of the previous author, I would say that you are in position to licence it. After all you made some big changes to it and shaped it to your vision. I would not make a big number out of it. Just licence it and everyone is happy. I don't see what harm would come of that.

The oxp is in need of serious upgrading, bugfixing and tweaking. I can make a graphical update by integrating GalNavy additions/facelift into it. Then there are some bugfixes floating around that need to be put in. And finally the oxp needs to be upgraded to 1.80/1.81 standards. I can help here, if nobody else volunteers.

A bigger question are the balance issues. These are from both my own observations and from the forum.
  • SecCom stations. These are stationed close to the main station and have very profitable radioactive markets. After achieving discounts, the equipment shop is exploitable.
  • Patrols. These make the game a lot safer for clean pilots and more dangerous to others. They also change the feel of the game to an imposed martial law. It feels like being in the middle of the last book of Oolite saga.
I understands that these are up to your vision and that needs to be respected. However, since this is a very popular oxp amongst Jamesons, I have a couple of suggestions.
  • Tone down the market so that it's still worth to visit, but it's not worth to do milk runs between the main station and SecCom station.
  • Equipment discounts need to be restricted somehow. Maybe they are available only after accomplishing a mission or something. Sort of access to the military shipyard to fix your ship after duty or something.
  • Some like SecCom, some don't. Some like Patrols, some don't. All love missions. I suggest making the OXP modular in a following manner:
    1. The base oxp. Just add missions. You get the first one from a wandering behemoth and after that you can access the missions from selected main stations.
    2. SecComs addon. Move the missions to SecComs.
    3. Patrols addon. Add Patrols.
    1+2+3. = the original experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:46 am 
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Nemoricus, good to see you :D

Looking forward to seeing the update.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:01 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
  • Tone down the market so that it's still worth to visit, but it's not worth to do milk runs between the main station and SecCom station.
  • Equipment discounts need to be restricted somehow. Maybe they are available only after accomplishing a mission or something. Sort of access to the military shipyard to fix your ship after duty or something.
  • Some like SecCom, some don't. Some like Patrols, some don't. All love missions. I suggest making the OXP modular in a following manner:
    1. The base oxp. Just add missions. You get the first one from a wandering behemoth and after that you can access the missions from selected main stations.
    2. SecComs addon. Move the missions to SecComs.
    3. Patrols addon. Add Patrols.
    1+2+3. = the original experience.
I agree with all these suggestions, good ideas!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:49 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Nemoricus, great to see you!

I hope this means the licensing problem will be fixed soon?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:53 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Any news on this?