Laser Combat Reimagined OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Laser Combat Reimagined OXZ

Post by Redspear »

[*]blows off dust[*]

Tried this out again yesterday in light of recent discussions.
Seemed to work quite well but I realised I'd inherited a restriction that would no longer be necessary.

The player does not have to begin with the weakest laser

Sounds crazy maybe but traditionally there are only 2 combat upgrades and the first of those is already pretty useful, wheras here there are several more.

For example, suppose your ship is too slow to recommend a beam laser (explained up-thread), and you start instead with the weakest pulse laser (of 3 varieties). Under such circumstances there would be at least 5 possible upgrades that would be beneficial (the 2 other pulse lasers and the 3 military lasers).

If however you started with the medium pulse laser then there would still be a minimum of 4 posible upgrades; and in a ship as fast as the mk 3 or as large as a python it could be as many as 7 (beam lasers for mk 3, bolt lasers for python).

If granted a medium pulse laser to begin with then the player could expect to occasionally outgun a single pirate and stand a slightly better chance against a pack of them. Hardly an earth shattering difference but combined with the proposed pulse laser's range advantage over the beam... not entirely insignificant either.

Once I've tested some more and given the code a tidy, if all's well then I'll ready an update.
"With our thoughts, we make the world" :-) - - - Game too slow for you? Masslock Compensators - - - Trouble getting out of trouble? Indestructible Injectors

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Laser Combat Reimagined OXZ

Post by Redspear »

v 0.4 uploaded.

Changes:
  • Cobra 3 no longer has the worst pulse laser - it has the best
  • Shuffled around the other lasers to produce flavourful (rather than obviously logical) combinations
  • Altered progression path for laser types. e.g. Pulse lasers now improve their cooling rather than their power
  • Gecko, Mamba & Sidewinder have all lost approx. one energy bank (now down to the same as the larger Cobra I)

The last change is probably the most contoversial as it isn't strictly laser related. However it does relate strongly to laser combat.
I spared the Krait on account of its larger size.

Still needs plenty of testing, so if you feel inclined then feedback will be welcomed.
Thanks.
"With our thoughts, we make the world" :-) - - - Game too slow for you? Masslock Compensators - - - Trouble getting out of trouble? Indestructible Injectors