Recovering "Lost" OXPs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

User avatar
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am
Location: The Delightful Domains of Her Most Britannic Majesty (currently plague-ridden)
Contact:

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by Cholmondely »

One more thought: we could always ask Selezen what he thinks. He might even be interested in helping develop it further!
Denizen of the Dark and Dismal Deserts of Digebiti.

Milo wrote Dancing the Gavotte
User avatar
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 2006
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 pm
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by maik »

I seem to recall a conversation from a few years back about appropriating planets in an OXP and how that could cause trouble if the same planet was receiving treatment by two unrelated OXPs. Does someone with a better brain for these things maybe have more detail so we can see if this is still relevant today?
User avatar
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 852
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 3:54 am
Location: lurking in The Devils Triangle (G1)

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs: Expanding Seosu/Capisastra OXP

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:08 pm I do see your point. But.
1) We are talking about an OXP, not the core/vanilla game.
2) We can probably redo some of the maps (if it is that important).
3) We are talking about Galaxy 4. How many people can name even 10 of the 256 systems in Galaxy 4? How many people will notice a missing system? And how many will care, honestly? If they do care, they won't download it - or they won't keep it after they have played through the mission.

Anyway, at the end of the day it is not utterly important. But I am interested in the programming limitations of Oolite and the extent to which Selezen's original concept can be modelled in the game as it stands.

2 thoughts on the matter:
i) The 256 planets in the core code seems to be the issue. If that could be overwritten (as so many things can) then it would be an easy fix (I presume). Do you suppose that the 256 limit is a major one to circumvent?

ii) If it is a major pain in the unmentionables to do anything about it, then maybe we should consider "knocking out" several systems in each Galaxy - delete them from maps, from wiki etc - and reserve them for oxp use. We can then have Thargoid bases, lose races and all sorts of excitement, and it will be so much easier for people to create these.

Would it not be wonderful to have lore (like that around Raxxla) which could then be brought into life. Discovering lost planets! Discovering lost civilisations! Etc, etc.
You do have valid points but when it comes to systems it could become sensible. Adding more than 256 systems per sector is requiring a change in the core-code, it can't be done with an OXP. Introducing a planet to interstellar space is possible and doesn't break the game balance (much :) ).

Leaving aside maps and lore we are talking about a very specific world/system with a unique environment. In combination with other OXP's this would require extensive checks and tests to make sure that, for example, the hidden system not suddenly got additional stations. Maik, as usually, is right, we could expect problems.

Contacting Selezen might be a good idea, this sounds like a major project, not a "simple" update.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
User avatar
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am
Location: The Delightful Domains of Her Most Britannic Majesty (currently plague-ridden)
Contact:

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by Cholmondely »

maik wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:03 pm I seem to recall a conversation from a few years back about appropriating planets in an OXP and how that could cause trouble if the same planet was receiving treatment by two unrelated OXPs. Does someone with a better brain for these things maybe have more detail so we can see if this is still relevant today?
There is a page on the wiki for this: List of Planets used in OXPs: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/List_o ... ed_in_OXPs

It is linked on the OXP howto page.
Denizen of the Dark and Dismal Deserts of Digebiti.

Milo wrote Dancing the Gavotte
User avatar
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 2006
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 pm
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by maik »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:39 pm
maik wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:03 pm I seem to recall a conversation from a few years back about appropriating planets in an OXP and how that could cause trouble if the same planet was receiving treatment by two unrelated OXPs. Does someone with a better brain for these things maybe have more detail so we can see if this is still relevant today?
There is a page on the wiki for this: List of Planets used in OXPs: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/List_o ... ed_in_OXPs

It is linked on the OXP howto page.
Ah yes, it was likely created as part of that conversation, but is easily left outdated.
User avatar
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am
Location: The Delightful Domains of Her Most Britannic Majesty (currently plague-ridden)
Contact:

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by Cholmondely »

maik wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:25 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:39 pm
maik wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:03 pm I seem to recall a conversation from a few years back about appropriating planets in an OXP and how that could cause trouble if the same planet was receiving treatment by two unrelated OXPs. Does someone with a better brain for these things maybe have more detail so we can see if this is still relevant today?
There is a page on the wiki for this: List of Planets used in OXPs: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/List_o ... ed_in_OXPs

It is linked on the OXP howto page.
Ah yes, it was likely created as part of that conversation, but is easily left outdated.

http://www.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12166
: List of Planets used in OXPs (July 2012 - date of wiki page creation)
Denizen of the Dark and Dismal Deserts of Digebiti.

Milo wrote Dancing the Gavotte
User avatar
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 2006
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 pm
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by maik »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:29 am
maik wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:25 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:39 pm

There is a page on the wiki for this: List of Planets used in OXPs: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/List_o ... ed_in_OXPs

It is linked on the OXP howto page.
Ah yes, it was likely created as part of that conversation, but is easily left outdated.

http://www.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12166
: List of Planets used in OXPs (July 2012 - date of wiki page creation)
Perfect <bows head>, exactly that!
hiran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:39 pm
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by hiran »

How could one retrieve the list of planets in Oolite?
I guess that would not be inside an OXP but maybe a plist on the core game?

Next would be to identify how an OXP 'overwrites' a planet.

If both these bits of information are automatable it could be a whiff to....
Anyone interested?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. [Thomas Edison]
hiran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:39 pm
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 pm How could one retrieve the list of planets in Oolite?
I guess that would not be inside an OXP but maybe a plist on the core game?

Code: Select all

./Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Config/planetinfo.plist
hiran wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 pm Next would be to identify how an OXP 'overwrites' a planet.

Code: Select all

.../Config/planetinfo.plist
(see http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_howto and http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Planetinfo.plist)
hiran wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 pm If both these bits of information are automatable it could be a whiff to....
Anyone interested?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. [Thomas Edison]
User avatar
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am
Location: The Delightful Domains of Her Most Britannic Majesty (currently plague-ridden)
Contact:

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:37 pm
hiran wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 pm How could one retrieve the list of planets in Oolite?
I guess that would not be inside an OXP but maybe a plist on the core game?

Code: Select all

./Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Config/planetinfo.plist
hiran wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 pm Next would be to identify how an OXP 'overwrites' a planet.

Code: Select all

.../Config/planetinfo.plist
(see http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_howto and http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Planetinfo.plist)
hiran wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 pm If both these bits of information are automatable it could be a whiff to....
Anyone interested?
Apologies: I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying!
Denizen of the Dark and Dismal Deserts of Digebiti.

Milo wrote Dancing the Gavotte
hiran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:39 pm
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:01 pm Apologies: I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying!
Ok, maybe I am a bit too fast. Situations like this are very close to my earth-based day job.

The question that came up is which OXPs overwrite which planets, since (I guess) if multiple OXPs overwrite the same planet the result may be not clearly defined. Therefore we'd need an overview to properly handle conflicts.
Someone already created such an overview as you can see here, but...
Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:29 am
maik wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:25 pm [...]
Ah yes, it was likely created as part of that conversation, but is easily left outdated.

http://www.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12166
: List of Planets used in OXPs (July 2012 - date of wiki page creation)
...that page was last updated when it was actually created - which means no one maintained it and thus was outdated in the very moment it was published on the wiki. Who would go through the fuss and update such a page regularly?

Now I am already able to automatically scan OXPs for stuff - I could - with little enough effort - have the code to create a report of planets and overwriting OXPs, similar like the existing list but created within minutes. No manual effort required once the code is stable.

However I will create it only if there is demand.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. [Thomas Edison]
User avatar
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am
Location: The Delightful Domains of Her Most Britannic Majesty (currently plague-ridden)
Contact:

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:50 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:01 pm Apologies: I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying!
Ok, maybe I am a bit too fast. Situations like this are very close to my earth-based day job.

The question that came up is which OXPs overwrite which planets, since (I guess) if multiple OXPs overwrite the same planet the result may be not clearly defined. Therefore we'd need an overview to properly handle conflicts.
Someone already created such an overview as you can see here, but...
Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:29 am
maik wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:25 pm [...]
Ah yes, it was likely created as part of that conversation, but is easily left outdated.

http://www.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12166
: List of Planets used in OXPs (July 2012 - date of wiki page creation)
...that page was last updated when it was actually created - which means no one maintained it and thus was outdated in the very moment it was published on the wiki. Who would go through the fuss and update such a page regularly?

Now I am already able to automatically scan OXPs for stuff - I could - with little enough effort - have the code to create a report of planets and overwriting OXPs, similar like the existing list but created within minutes. No manual effort required once the code is stable.

However I will create it only if there is demand.
Thinking about this. If we get drowned in a morass of files/information, it probably won't do too much good. I would guess that only a minority of OXPs actually do any of the 3 things on the list. And I don't even understand what the second one refers to (I probably need to wade through the pages of the thread where Smivs discusses it), if I can understand the relevant chunks!
Denizen of the Dark and Dismal Deserts of Digebiti.

Milo wrote Dancing the Gavotte
hiran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:39 pm
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:20 pm
hiran wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:50 pm However I will create it only if there is demand.
Thinking about this. If we get drowned in a morass of files/information, it probably won't do too much good. I would guess that only a minority of OXPs actually do any of the 3 things on the list. And I don't even understand what the second one refers to (I probably need to wade through the pages of the thread where Smivs discusses it), if I can understand the relevant chunks!
Aye
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. [Thomas Edison]
User avatar
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by cbr »

Did any ships from the Storm shipyard 'ever' appear?
User avatar
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am
Location: The Delightful Domains of Her Most Britannic Majesty (currently plague-ridden)
Contact:

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:35 am Did any ships from the Storm shipyard 'ever' appear?
As in ...
Storm wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:13 pm Hi folks,

As I mentioned in the Show and Tell, I have decided to start my own thread for revealing my various works in progress. To start off with, here are some thumbnails linked to pictures of the ship I am calling the Hyena Class Escort.

Image

Image

Image

Image
this ... (and the next 7 pages of the thread) ?

Did you try "pm"-ing him?
Denizen of the Dark and Dismal Deserts of Digebiti.

Milo wrote Dancing the Gavotte
Post Reply