What "can" be changed without re-compiling?

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Re:

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:57 amIs it some sort of post-modernist fetish that has passed me by?
Mason & Dixon is an excellent postmodernist novel - highly recommended.
I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships flying, in the yellow haze of the sun
There were children crying and colors flying, all around the chosen ones
All in a dream, all in a dream, the loading had begun
Flying Mother Nature's silver seed to a new home
theolodger
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by theolodger »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:57 am
theolodger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:20 am
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:32 pm

I understand that there are also hardware issues such as those with Maik's external dashboards, multi-player games etc.

Is this it? Or are there other things too?
Do people just not get mad about necroposting here :lol:
Welcome to the boards! Enjoy! I hope you get as much fun out of all of this as I have managed!

As regards necroposting, all the people who fumed about it seem to have died off!

Honestly, in my reading of old posts, I could never work out why that handful of people got so upset about it. If somebody made a good point 15 years ago, and it is still a good point today, why is it verboten to repeat it? Or to add to the relevant thread?

Is it some sort of post-modernist fetish that has passed me by?
I don't know why people get mad about it either, just know that they do :)
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: The Delightful Domains of Her Most Britannic Majesty

Post by Cholmondely »

theolodger wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:37 am
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:57 am
theolodger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:20 am

Do people just not get mad about necroposting here :lol:
Welcome to the boards! Enjoy! I hope you get as much fun out of all of this as I have managed!

As regards necroposting, all the people who fumed about it seem to have died off!

Honestly, in my reading of old posts, I could never work out why that handful of people got so upset about it. If somebody made a good point 15 years ago, and it is still a good point today, why is it verboten to repeat it? Or to add to the relevant thread?

Is it some sort of post-modernist fetish that has passed me by?
I don't know why people get mad about it either, just know that they do :)
I wonder if it something to do with the way that programming has developed. Speaking as an outsider it seems to embody a desire for constant revolution/constant flux. (I just look at how the AppleMac has changed since the days of System 6!). This must create a feeling of dreadful inhibition when one has to support legacy systems which non-programmers still understand & rely on. It probably creates a disdain for the old, and a yearning for fresh untrammeled starts.

How about that for a piece of pop-psychology about a bunch of people I know vanishingly little about?

Oh ... and why theolodger? Not theoldlodger or theologer? Is it a reference to the god of lodgers?
Denizen of the Dark and Dismal Deserts of Digebiti.

Milo wrote Dancing the Gavotte
tsoj
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: What "can" be changed without re-compiling?

Post by tsoj »

I think in programming/technical forums it often makes sense to "fade out" old posts, just because stuff changes such that answers in old threads become wrong/misleading.
But here I find it quite entertaining reading old threads that pop up in "Active topics", and they are not less relevant to the overall "Oolite" topic than recent threads.
Cody

Post by Cody »

tsoj wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:01 pmBut here I find it quite entertaining reading old threads that pop up in "Active topics", and they are not less relevant to the overall "Oolite" topic than recent threads.
<nods>
I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships flying, in the yellow haze of the sun
There were children crying and colors flying, all around the chosen ones
All in a dream, all in a dream, the loading had begun
Flying Mother Nature's silver seed to a new home
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re:

Post by Cholmondely »

Returning to the theme!

Summary of the State of Play so far.
Disembodied wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:51 am It might be easier to list what can't be changed ... here's my attempt at such a list (which of course is only as accurate as my own knowledge and understanding, so I wouldn't rely on it):

1) You can't assign new functions to new keyboard presses.

2) You can't change the fundamental physics of Oolite spaceflight.

3) You can't (directly) give a ship a range of more than 7 light-years in one jump.
phkb wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:16 pm 4) You can't directly reference and/or assign a script to a character.

5) You can't detect when the player changes the selected menu item on a mission screen. (You only know they selected it if they press "enter" while it's selected)

6 ) The only keypress that can be "read" from a mission screen is "enter": ie. from a standard mission screen with a simple menu, you can't for instance, determine if the player presses "shift-X', or "alt-P", or even simpler ones like "q", "w", "e" etc. You can read a line of entered data on a mission screen with a specific setting (the "textEntry" property of the runScreen parameters object), but you can't interact with individual key presses.

(Renumbered from Phkb's original)
What about the following:

a) Putting a second sun in a solar system (can one create something like a sun and place it even if the game code won't call it a sun)?

b) Have more than 256 systems in a galaxy?

c) Introduce a 9th galaxy into the game

d) Have a 3-D galaxy

e) Change the behaviour of commodity prices so that they do not simply range between the two poles of poor agricultural & rich industrial:
ie create something needing a mainly industrial system (eg medicine) which would be cheapest in mainly industrial systems and then get more expensive as one moved out to the poor agri & rich ind at the ends of the economic spectrum.

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:31 am What about the following:

a) Putting a second sun in a solar system (can one create something like a sun and place it even if the game code won't call it a sun)?

d) Have a 3-D galaxy

e) Change the behaviour of commodity prices so that they do not simply range between the two poles of poor agricultural & rich industrial:
ie create something needing a mainly industrial system (eg medicine) which would be cheapest in mainly industrial systems and then get more expensive as one moved out to the poor agri & rich ind at the ends of the economic spectrum.
a) You could probably have an effect entity representing a second sun and it could maybe be made to look just like the standard suns, but there will be a problem: it will not behave like a light source. It will just be decoration. And you would need some added scripting to emulate fuel scooping actions and temperature impact.

b) No. These are hardcoded to 256 at the moment. Source code changes will be required to achieve this.

c) No. As above, this is hardcoded to 8 and you will need to tweak the code if you want to change this.

d) No. There is no prediction for a third dimension in the design of the galaxy map and in how distances and times between systems are calculated.

e) I think this may be doable with scripting, but I have a few reservation on it. Maybe someone else with more experience in this part can provide a more definitive answer.
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Cholmondely »

another_commander wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:56 am
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:31 am What about the following:

d) Have a 3-D galaxy

a) You could probably have an effect entity representing a second sun and it could maybe be made to look just like the standard suns, but there will be a problem: it will not behave like a light source. It will just be decoration. And you would need some added scripting to emulate fuel scooping actions and temperature impact.

b) No. These are hardcoded to 256 at the moment. Source code changes will be required to achieve this.

c) No. As above, this is hardcoded to 8 and you will need to tweak the code if you want to change this.

d) No. There is no prediction for a third dimension in the design of the galaxy map and in how distances and times between systems are calculated.

e) I think this may be doable with scripting, but I have a few reservations on it. Maybe someone else with more experience in this part can provide a more definitive answer.
Thank you!

hiran
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:56 am a) You could probably have an effect entity representing a second sun and it could maybe be made to look just like the standard suns, but there will be a problem: it will not behave like a light source. It will just be decoration. And you would need some added scripting to emulate fuel scooping actions and temperature impact.
While you mention a light source, how about a light sink? In other words: Black holes? I know one should not get too close to a Schwarzschild radius but then that phenomenon in Ooniverse could allow interesting manoevres...?
Cholmondely
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Cholmondely »

Black Holes

Charlie was experimenting with this back in 2006/7 (pre-Javascript days):

He left an empty folder in his box account: https://www.box.net/s/b2tic3tjsk

and references in this thread http://www.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2596 and this http://www.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=33588#p33588