I crashed the ooniverse

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

hiran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I crashed the ooniverse

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:16 pm Let's see what Mr. Code has to say about this...
[...]
The speed you obtained is only a fraction of what could be achieved. And it is all by design.
Oh, wow. Thank you for digging that far. So what I did is definitely within the specs. :oops:

Can I also ask why the destroyer offers me to fly (without torus) with 300, sometimes even 600 [units?] when it is documented to fly .2 LMs? Is this changed by addons I may have, or by experience or...?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. [Thomas Edison]
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

hiran wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:31 pm Oh, wow. Thank you for digging that far. So what I did is definitely within the specs. :oops:

Can I also ask why the destroyer offers me to fly (without torus) with 300, sometimes even 600 [units?] when it is documented to fly .2 LMs? Is this changed by addons I may have, or by experience or...?
That I don't know. Maybe the OXP (or even another OXP) has a script that affects speed, or you have a specific variant of the ship with higher maximum speeds etc. Maybe you are using injectors even? Using them boosts speed by 7x.

Cody wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:34 pmAnd in IS, even that ludicrous speed will get you precisely nowhere... yes?
Right, you'll always be in the system, but millions of kilometres away from the nearest planet.
hiran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:09 am
hiran wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:31 pm Can I also ask why the destroyer offers me to fly (without torus) with 300, sometimes even 600 [units?] when it is documented to fly .2 LMs? Is this changed by addons I may have, or by experience or...?
That I don't know. Maybe the OXP (or even another OXP) has a script that affects speed, or you have a specific variant of the ship with higher maximum speeds etc. Maybe you are using injectors even? Using them boosts speed by 7x.
That is a surprise for me as well. After all, when I accelerate from 0 first I run with the standard drive, then the fuel injectors kick in (I have something called cruise mode which means I do not have to press/hold 'i'). But when I press 'j' to activate the torus drive either I get the 'mass locked' message, or the fuel injectors get deactivated. Thus I expected thez have no further impact on my speed.

It seems the Ooniverse is a complex entity of it's own and it is worth being investigated and checked out. After all not all the rules we know from our universe are applicable there...
hiran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by hiran »

I updated http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Torus_Drive so next time I raise this question people can simply tell me to RTFM. ;-)